This year we’ve traveled a lot- and I faithfully bring my travel art kit with me across states, continents, and oceans. However, last fall I started a new habit: vacation Zentangling. By creating a piece of Zentangle art during each trip, I have a lasting art piece AND a memento of the wonderful places I’ve been.
If you are unfamiliar with Zen Tangles, I wrote a post on Zentangle Basics (book review) here. I also wrote a post on Zentangles versus Mandalas, as well. Just so ya know.
My version takes it to a new level by using the local environment, textures, and patterns for inspiration.
Start off by taking some photographs while out and about on your vacation. You can even use your phone for this…because you don’t need to print out your pictures, just use them for reference.
Then, whenever you have some “down” time, you can pull out your journal and do some Zentangling/ Mandala drawing that reflects on what you’ve seen. Focus on color and texture, don’t worry so much about details. Here’s a photo of mine in progress in Mexico:
As you can see, I divided up my basic square and focused on completing one section per evening. It was a great way to pass the time and made art on the go. You can even leave some blank sections and use that for journaling. Now isn’t THAT clever?
I’m including a list of products I used so that you can read my reviews and see if they are crafty supplies that might enhance YOUR vacation experience!
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018