It’s coming, it’s coming!!! Halloween, that is! And it’s so much fun to dress up the house with fun and easy crafts. Today I have an idea for you courtesy of Joann Fabric and Craft Stores- a Halloween Lantern inspired by Edgar Allen Poe. It’s really easy, too.
To get started, you’ll need to take a little shopping trip. I’m lucky enough to have a Joann Fabric and Craft Store nearby, but did you know you can shop online, too?
I was inspired by the feathered ravens and skulls, and it got me going on the “Nevermore” path. The only thing I really had to do was get the paper mache skull covered and text- and sparkly, because that’s how I roll.
I just used an old book and some decoupage material. I used the Antique formula to give it an aged look.
I ripped up the text into small, 1-inch pieces so I could easily decoupage it over the curved surface.
To finish off the look, I added some Stampendous glitter that looks like vintage glass glitter. Now all I had to do was wait for it to dry!
In the meanwhile, I prepped my lantern. I got it at a yard sale, but you can find them at Joann Fabric and Craft Stores– or you could use a cloche. Be creative!
I also picked up some goodies at JoAnn Fabric and Craft Stores that made assembling my vinette easy as pie- a pre-tied ribbon, a printed sign to hang in the back, and a spooky flickering electric candle!
I also picked up some Tim Holtz Ideaology nibs and some feathers to re-create the quill- another nod to my Poe-inspired theme. Then I just had to assemble it. I nestled everything on that bunch of paper shred that I purchased. (Bonus- I can use the rest in a gift bag!)
Here’s another look:
I love the spooky, but kind of glamorous look it lends to my Halloween Mantle. What do you think? Is this something that you would try?
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by JoAnn Fabric and Craft Stores as a part of the Celebrate the Season campaign For more Halloween fun, visit joann.com/celebrate-the-season.
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018