Oh, how I love Halloween! And I’m always looking for another centerpiece or table decoration to dress up my decor. The folks at HalloweenCostumes.com challenged me to take one of their accessories and turn it into a decoration of some sort- so I jumped at the chance! So for today’s post, I’m going to show you how I took their fabulous Mad Hatter hat and turned it into this show-stopper for my piano.
For this project, I used:
- Mad Hatter Hat
- Mad Hatter Hat Pins
- Topiary Form
- Foam Ring
- DecoArt Texture: Fierro in Iron Black
- Graphic 45 Halloween In Wonderland Paper pad
- Dry adhesive (like the Xyron Creatopia)
- Painting tools like the Martha Steweart Painting Sponges
- adhesive rhinestone swirls
- Battery powered tea lights
- dry ice
I started off by painting the paper mache box with the DecoArt Texture Fierro in Black Iron. This stuf is amazing! It covered in one coat and provided sparkle and textureÂ the box. I used it on the topiary too.
Then I got busy with the Graphic 45 Halloween in Wonderland paper pack. It comes with two-sided cardstock and is filled with backgrounds, postcards, tags, and borders! I used my Xyron Creatopia to make quick work of applying the adhesive. The 12″ width made it perfect for covering the pieces of cardstock edge-to-edge.
Next, it was all about decorating the sides of the box. I used some rhinestones, LOTS of Elmer’s Glue Dots (3D), and a little black tulle I had laying around. Since the paper pack comes with two sheets of each pattern, I cut out some extra areas to pop them up and give even more dimension.
Now, it’s not Halloween yet, but the idea is to get some dry ice and place it in the box, as well as some battery-operated tea-lights. I can just envision fog roiling out of the box and illuminating the hat from below!
Then I’m going to finish decorating the lid and store my Mad Hatter Hat and pins safely until next year. Double-duty for the win!
A big thank you to HalloweenCostumes.com for the hat and pins, and to Graphic 45 for sending me the paper pack!
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018