I had this old hostess tray sitting around, and it really needed….something. It was plain and cheap, and faded into the background. I decided it needed some “oomph” and that when I used it, my guests should feel like a royalty! (Or maybe even me, on Mother’s Day?) So I set to work. Here’s a sneak peek!
(Disclosure: this is a sponsored tutorial designed my little ol’ me on behalf of Krylon. They supplied the paint and compensation. Thanks, Krylon!)
First, I started off with the tray. I think these were a wedding gift 19 years ago!
Functional, but not very exciting. Krylon let me know that this month they were featuring the “Express” Palette, and the feature color was Ballet Slipper Pink.
I really love this palette- the boho/ indigenous vibe is awesome. I chose the Blue Ocean and Bauhaus gold to coordinate. But now what to do with that tray?
ColorMaster Cover Max is a primer and paint in one, so I gave it three light, even coats to cover all of the woodgrain.
Next, I found some paper that coordinated…. so I measured it to fit the serving tray portion.
I decoupaged that down with a furniture-specific decoupage, so that it could stand up to wear and tear. Two coats worked great.
But then my try still looked a little bare. So I pulled out a great stencil from Stencil 1 and decided to do an alternatively- color Union Jack! After all, there is the new little Princess Charlotte and it made me happy to groove on that theme.
Since the weather was warm here, I only had to wait 15 minutes between coats. It came together in no time!
I love this bright and sunny color combo!
All it needed was a few final touches to add the glimmer and shine…. FOIL!
All done and ready to serve a little Princess… or the Queen of this castle!
Here’s another view…. with my afternoon tea.
While I don’t consider myself a “pink” person, I really love how this tray came together. So pretty and whimsical and functional.
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018