I’m always intrigued by new products- I love to try and see just how far I can stretch them! Today I’m sharing my results with Coastal Texture Paint from Folk Art (Plaid.)
Disclosure: samples provided for review purposes only. My opinions are honest and my own, and based on first-hand experience with the product. Some links contained in the post are affiliate links.
So first off, this is how it’s described by the company:
FolkArt Coastal Texture Paint is a water-based, easy-to-use paint that creates an authentic “weathered by the sea” effect. It is a thick, paste-like paint that can be applied in one color or layered with multiple colors and then distressed to achieve a weathered effect. Comes in 8 oz. wide-mouth bottle. Available in ten colors.
I swatched them out on black paper, where you can really see the colors and texture:
I made you a video to show you the texture, applications, and some project ideas:
Let’s go over the highlights once again:
- Almost no odor.
- Thick, grainy, and paste-like texture.
- Best applied with a spatula or foam brush.
- Dries absolutly matte.
- Can be used as a gesso!
- Great in layers.
- Covers in one coat!
- Indoor and outdoor use.
- Did not crack during drying, even with thick coats.
- Keeps soft peaks.
- Acrylic paint/water clean-up!
- You can stamp, paint, and spray on top. Great layering media.
And my projects…
I really didn’t expect such a textural paint to be SO GREAT on tags…but DANG. I love the layering and a quick sand made the surface smooth enough to stamp on! WOW! I wouldn’t hesitate to use Coastal Texture Paint in an art journal.
My Shell Treasure box is one of my favorites- look at that weathered texture on the lid! It really does look like a piece of weathered wood. You can click here to see the full tutorial! And remember, there’s still a giveaway going on, too- it’s not too late to enter!
And here’s a sneak peek of a canvas in progress….. coming soon!
Coastal Texture Paint retails for $8.99 per 8 fl oz jar, and can also be used as a tinted gesso. It’s available online at Createforless .(This is an affiliate link, and if you shop through it, you will support CTD without any additional cost to you. So thank you in advance! )
My one “ding?” I wish there were some more colors! I’d love a red (like a weathered barn color) and maybe even a lime green. Let’s hope the line takes off and they expand the colors!
I’m keeping these jars close at hand- I’ve got a few more ideas up my sleeve.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on Coastal Texture Paint. Is it your cup of tea?
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
Diane Roff says
LOVE your reviews & videos! Can’t wait to try this product! And I’m right there with you…hope they add red & other colors to their gesso-like product.