It took me 33 years to make a paper crane without crying. Succeeding at origami requires both patience and precision, two skills that are not my forte. It also requires clear instruction, something that can be rare in the origami world. Ever try to use one of the patterns on the paper package? Inscrutable! Frustrating. Rage-inducing. However, Practical Origami: Folding Your Way to Everyday Accessories, is an excellent instructional book with fun, doable projects.
The tagline for Practical Origami:
Tuck, wrap, flatten, layer, gift, decorate. Turn simple paper into all kinds of useful objects.
About Practical Origami: Folding Your Way to Everyday Accessories
- 160 Pages
- 75 Projects
- The MSRP is $19.95 USD, available on Amazon
- Includes a short introduction to basic origami techniques needed to complete the book’s projects.
The book is translated from the Japanese, and is a no-frills, project-based manual that’s great for beginners and intermediate paper folders. With a focus on small items that can be used in everyday life, the book is divided into five sections: containers, decorations, gift wrap, desktop accessories, and seasonal decor. There are also varying levels of difficulty, so you can work up to the more difficult (but extra beautiful!) activities. Some of the more complex projects nearly made my head explode, but I think that’s just me and my weird brain.
If you’re an origami newbie, in order to complete even the simplest projects in the book, you must familiarize yourself with origami terms and symbols, which are briefly reviewed in the first few pages. Luckily, the translation is great and the clarity of directions minimize frustration and a table covered with crumpled-up paper balls.
There’s not a lot of extra text or editorial here, which is kind of nice; it creates a clean-looking book that highlights the projects themselves.
I chose to keep it simple and made some goodies, tiny bags and gift card holders, that I can’t wait to use for birthdays and holidays!
- Pat Catan’s Craft Stores Acquired by Michael’s - February 2, 2016
- Vicki’s CHA Trend Sightings - January 20, 2016
- Vicki’s Favorite Picks from the CHA Top 20 Products - January 10, 2016
- CHA Show 2015: Behind the Scenes with Vicki - January 30, 2015
- CHA 2015 Day 2 - January 20, 2015
- CHA Show 2015 – New Jewelry Products to Watch For - January 19, 2015
- CHA Show 2015: Yarnia - January 15, 2015
- CHA 2015: Day 1 - January 11, 2015
- Craft Product Review: Mod Podge Furniture in 3 Finishes - January 5, 2015
- Trend Report for 2014-2015 – Home Decor - November 26, 2014