I made these last year, but I thought I’d give you a quick tutorials on making them yourself. They are SO cute for a little- or big- girl’s hair!
- white craft glue, like tacky glue or Sobo (“super” glue optional)
- about 6 inches of velvet ribbon, 1/2 inch wide (grosgrain will work in a pinch. The velvet actually helps to grip the hair, and keep the clip from sliding out. Do NOT use satin ribbon for this reason.)
- “alligator” hair clip
- 1 small heart-shaped yo-yo
- 1 small button
To start put a little glue on one end of the BACK of your ribbon. Open up the hair clip, and start gluing the wrong side of the ribbon to the INSIDE TOP of the clip. Wrap it around to the top (you can let go of the clip now, and let the spring hold it in place.) and glue the ribbon to the top. Make sure you match the edges of the ribbon, so that it lines up nicely. Do an eyeball measurement and figure out how much more you’ll need to go OVER the top PINCH portion of the clip, and down over the edge- to the spring. Give yourself about 1/4 inch more. Trim the ribbon to length, and then glue the raw edge under. Finish gluing your ribbon over the pinchy part of the clip, and the folded-over edge to the back side. Set it aside to set up.
If you haven’t made your yo-yo, do it now… (or use felt hearts, flowers, etc.) When you’re done sew a button into the gathered hole of the yo-yo. Use double thread for strength, and add a dab of glue to the knot. You can also add a rhinestone, if it’s one of those buttons that’s flat on top. Just glue your rhinestones in securely, using a “super” type glue. Don’t want those suckers falling off and little ones eating them!
Now you can stitch or glue your yo-yo embellishment to your ribbon-bedecked clip. Since my little girl is past the “stick-it-in-your-mouth” phase, I just glued my yo-yo on. (And I actually used Fabri-Tac glue for that, now that I think of it!) Let it all dry for a few hours or overnight, and presto! You’ve got some fun and cutie-patootie clips for your tresses!
If you’d like to read my review ofÂ the Clover Heart-Shaped Yo-Yo makers, check it out here.
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018