If you like to journal or scrapbook, having a great white gel pen is really handy to have. A nice white line on a dark background can have a LOT of impact and “pop!” But which white gel pen really delivers?? I was on a quest to find out and today I’m sharing my results of the American Crafts Ultimate Gel Pens white pastel, Sanford Uni-Ball Gel Impact Pen -White, andSakura 58471 Souffle 3-Dimensional Opaque Ink Pen, White
So first, let’s take a closer look at the nibs and how the gel ink presents as you are using the pen.
OK! Now let’s take a look at how these gel pens perform on darker papers.
I’m not sure if it shows up on your monitor, but the Uni-ball Signo showed up as the most crisp and opaque white gel pen of the three.
So that’s pretty good for solid color papers. But what happens if you want to use patterned or printed paper. For the next swatches I used sheet music paper that had been stenciled and also some white paper that had spray mists printed on them.
As you can see- or not see, as the case may be- you can barely see the Amercian Crafts pen in the bottom sample. The Souffle pens showed up, but the results were much more subtle. Again, the Uni-ball Opaque Gel was the clear stand-out.
Lastly, I thought I’d double-check how the Uni-Ball performs on lighter paper. After all, that might be the biggest challenge- white pen on a light back ground. So I did a bit of doodling in my Smash Book. Take a peek:
So there you have it. I know there are probably other white gel pens out there, but these were the 3 available at my local brick-and-mortar stores. I’m going to stock up on Uni-Ball Signo White Gel Pens and keep one with my Smash Book, one with my art journal, and another in my studio. (OK, maybe two.) I’m happy to find a white gel pen that really works!
Do you use white opaque gel pens? Did I miss your favorite- or confirm it? I’d love to hear your comments.
If you’d like to purchase one of these gel pens, please support CTD by using one of the Amazon affiliate links in this post or below. Thanks!
- NYC Craft Shopping and Haul (plus some chit-chat) - August 15, 2017
- DIY Quilled Paper Flower Embellishments - August 11, 2017
- Nine Easy Gel Printing Techniques for Beginners! - August 2, 2017
- Tuesday Morning Craft Haul- July 2017 - July 27, 2017
- Review and Demo of Sign Brush Felt Tip Markers from Pentel Arts - July 22, 2017
- Mixed Media Paper Feathers - July 18, 2017
- Organizing Distress Stain Ink Pads - July 14, 2017
- Review and demo of On Point Glue from Imagine Crafts - July 12, 2017
- Magic-Glos UV Curing Resin by Lisa Pavelka - July 6, 2017
- “Firecracker” Rice Treat Pops - July 4, 2017