You have to check out this video from Ana Arujo… it’s a hoot. She’s trying to convince her daughter that dough ornaments are a good thing… and her daughter is not enjoying the mess.
That being said, bread dough ornaments ARE fun, easy, and cheap!!!! They would be fun to make on a snow day, or to minimize the wait, you could always make up the “blanks”- baked circles- and then just have the kids decorate them. Wouldn’t this be fun with a girls scout troup, classroom, or even as an activity in a nursing home? It’s so inexpensive, it’s a great craft even in this economy.
Here’s a basic salt dough recipe:
- ½ cup salt
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup water
Just mix together until the dough is formed. Then roll it out, and cut it with cookie cutters in the shape of your choice. Bake at 250 F for 2 hours until they are all dried out. Paint with acrylics, decoupage, sprinkle with glitter, go wild. You’ll want to make sure that it’s sealed well with paint, glaze or decoupage medium to keep them intact for years to come. Kaboose has some good ideas to check out, too!
Go get messy and happy crafting!
- Coastal Texture Paint Review and Demo - May 23, 2017
- National Mod Podge Day- Shell Treasure Box DIY - May 19, 2017
- Last-Minute Mother’s Day Gifts! - May 11, 2017
- Brit & Co Craft Kits Now at Target! - May 5, 2017
- Pebeo Paints Part 2: Fantasy Paints (Prisme & Moon) - May 2, 2017
- Show and Share: Eastern Palace Premiere Bundle from Stampin’ UP! - April 28, 2017
- Pebeo Liquid Oil Paints- Part 1: Vitrail, Opale, and Ceramic - April 25, 2017
- Flower Fairies and Woodland Sprite Earth Day Craft - April 18, 2017
- Folk Art Color Shift Acrylic Paints - April 7, 2017
- Speed Collage- 7 Layers and in a Series - April 4, 2017