You have to check out this video from Ana Arujo… it’s a hoot. She’s trying to convince her daughter that dough ornaments are a good thing… and her daughter is not enjoying the mess.
That being said, bread dough ornaments ARE fun, easy, and cheap!!!! They would be fun to make on a snow day, or to minimize the wait, you could always make up the “blanks”- baked circles- and then just have the kids decorate them. Wouldn’t this be fun with a girls scout troup, classroom, or even as an activity in a nursing home? It’s so inexpensive, it’s a great craft even in this economy.
Here’s a basic salt dough recipe:
- ½ cup salt
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup water
Just mix together until the dough is formed. Then roll it out, and cut it with cookie cutters in the shape of your choice. Bake at 250 F for 2 hours until they are all dried out. Paint with acrylics, decoupage, sprinkle with glitter, go wild. You’ll want to make sure that it’s sealed well with paint, glaze or decoupage medium to keep them intact for years to come. Kaboose has some good ideas to check out, too!
Go get messy and happy crafting!
- Digitizing Your Die Cuts with Cricut Design Space! - September 19, 2017
- Cricut Maker Unboxing, Set Up & First Project Review - September 12, 2017
- Tim Holtz/ Tonic Stamping Platform Review - September 5, 2017
- TouchFive Markers Review and Demo - September 1, 2017
- Marbling Medium from Martha Stewart Crafts - August 29, 2017
- Kit XChange Organization System - August 25, 2017
- NYC Craft Shopping and Haul (plus some chit-chat) - August 15, 2017
- DIY Quilled Paper Flower Embellishments - August 11, 2017
- Nine Easy Gel Printing Techniques for Beginners! - August 2, 2017
- Tuesday Morning Craft Haul- July 2017 - July 27, 2017