In the past 12 months or so, “washi tape” has taken over the scrapbooking and stationery world. For those who haven’t heard of it, I thought I’d give you an overview of just what it is and perhaps why you might want to try it.
For starters, “Washi Tape” comes from Japan, is a paper tape that comes in pretty colors and patterns. It comes on a roll like regular sticky tape, and is often translucent. You can find it in 1/4″ widths up to 2 1/2 inches, and it feels more like masking tape than true “paper.” Since hitting the crafting world by storm, many major scrapbooking companies have come out with their own versions.
….you get the idea. So here are how some washi tapes look on light/dark papers, so you can get a feel of translucency.
I should also say that I’m purposefully avoiding covering paper ribbons or trims- paper embellishments that have adhesive on the back. They are usually text to cardstock-weight paper, and are a different creature altogether.
So hopefully now you have a better idea of these washi/tissue/paper tapes, and will start thinking of some fun ways to use them! Here are a few photos of how I’m using them in my daily crafting:
You can also use it like regular sticky tape, and turn plain deli paper into elegant gift wrap!
Have you been bitten by the Washi Tape bug? How do you like to use it?
If you’d like to learn how to make your OWN washi/ paper tape, visit my tutorial HERE.
Or check out my tutorials using washi tape:
- washi covered mint tins
- three greeting cards with washi tape
- wrangling cords with washi tape
- decorative desk accessories using washi tape
- make scented washi tape
- Digitizing Your Die Cuts with Cricut Design Space! - September 19, 2017
- Cricut Maker Unboxing, Set Up & First Project Review - September 12, 2017
- Tim Holtz/ Tonic Stamping Platform Review - September 5, 2017
- TouchFive Markers Review and Demo - September 1, 2017
- Marbling Medium from Martha Stewart Crafts - August 29, 2017
- Kit XChange Organization System - August 25, 2017
- NYC Craft Shopping and Haul (plus some chit-chat) - August 15, 2017
- DIY Quilled Paper Flower Embellishments - August 11, 2017
- Nine Easy Gel Printing Techniques for Beginners! - August 2, 2017
- Tuesday Morning Craft Haul- July 2017 - July 27, 2017