This year we’ve traveled a lot- and I faithfully bring my travel art kit with me across states, continents, and oceans. However, last fall I started a new habit: vacation Zentangling. By creating a piece of Zentangle art during each trip, I have a lasting art piece AND a memento of the wonderful places I’ve been.
If you are unfamiliar with Zen Tangles, I wrote a post on Zentangle Basics (book review) here. I also wrote a post on Zentangles versus Mandalas, as well. Just so ya know.
My version takes it to a new level by using the local environment, textures, and patterns for inspiration.
Start off by taking some photographs while out and about on your vacation. You can even use your phone for this…because you don’t need to print out your pictures, just use them for reference.
Then, whenever you have some “down” time, you can pull out your journal and do some Zentangling/ Mandala drawing that reflects on what you’ve seen. Focus on color and texture, don’t worry so much about details. Here’s a photo of mine in progress in Mexico:
As you can see, I divided up my basic square and focused on completing one section per evening. It was a great way to pass the time and made art on the go. You can even leave some blank sections and use that for journaling. Now isn’t THAT clever?
I’m including a list of products I used so that you can read my reviews and see if they are crafty supplies that might enhance YOUR vacation experience!
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017