This question came in as a comment on my review of the Fiskars Fuse:
Hi Jenny I picked up some small Fiskars expansion pack shapes with the view to using them to emboss using the Sizzix Big Shot. Got nervous when trying to work out what shims to use. Have you tired them this way? I don’t have a Fuse just the Big Shot. Thanks
Good question, I thought! The key issue is that you need to have something soft UNDER the letterpress plate to make an impression INTO. Unlike an embossing folder which exerts pressure from both sides, you need something softer than I cutting plate.
So I set out and I found FIVE methods of using the “expansion packs” i.e., Fiskars Letterpress plates in a Sizzix die-cutting machine (Bigshot, Vagabond, et al) WITHOUT having any other Fiskars products on hand. You will however, need to have the Sizzix Multipurpose Platform (the ones with tabs for easy adapting) and a Sizzix Cutting Pads or two, depending on your technique.
First, here are the samples:
Here you go, with affiliate links for quick shopping!
Option #1. Use Stiffened Felt sheets. You might have these on hand for crafting. The order is: Platform WITH Tabs 1 & 2, stiffened felt, paper, Letterpress Plate, cutting plate.
Option #2. Use regular felt sheets. You’ll need a double thickness for good results. Order: Platform WITH Tabs 1 & 2, 2 layers felt, paper, Letterpress Plate, cutting plate.
Option #3 Use craft foam sheets. Again, you may have some of these on hand and they are REALLY cheap! Bonus- you’ll get an image in the craft foam, too…. and you can reuse them a number of times before they are too compressed to be useful. Order: Platform WITH tabs, craft foam, paper, LetterPress Plate, cutting plate.
Option #4. Use a multipurpose embossing shim like the Scor-Pal – No More Shims Embossing Mat. Now, this shim is pretty thick and can cause some paper crackling, but a light mist of water on your paper will help. Order: Platform WITHOUT tabs, Silicone Shim, paper, Letterpress Plate, cutting plate.
Option #5. Use the Sizzix Crease Pad. Use the Sizzix Multipurpose Platform , lift tabs 1 and 2 out of the way. Sandwich order: Platform WITHOUT tabs, crease pad, paper, Letterpress plate, cutting plate.
And for you visual learners, here’s a quick video!
I hope this helps you out- I’d love to hear your results.
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018