I had a request for a suggestion for a quilling resource, so I thought I’d share a book that I got a few years ago for Christmas that I really enjoyed. It’s by Klutz publishing, and it’s called “Twirled Paper” by Jacqueline Lee.
I’m pretty sure it’s geared for the teen market- I found it at Michael’s in the kid’s kit section- but it’s suitable for adult beginners, too.
It comes with a slew of qulling paper- 1/8 inch strips that would drive you buggy to cut yourself, a small container of glue, the book of instructions, andÂ the quilling tool.
It’s really just a pen handle with a small, cylindrical nib with one slot in it. You place the end of the your paper strip into the slot, apply some pressure with your thumb and finger, and wrap up the whole strip. Once you’ve coiled the paper, you remove it from the tool, and you are ready to create. Pince one end of the coil, and you get a teardrop. Pinch both ends, you get a leaf or an eye…. you get the idea.
Anyway, the book is spiral bound, so it’ll lay flay while you work. It also has a nice, sturdy cardboard cover and great photo illustrations. The instructions are clear, and there are quite a few beginner objects to make. This book is heavy on bugs, animals and flowers, given it’s target audience. However, it does provide a nice, solid foundation for technique…and once you get the basic shapes down, you can pretty much wing it from there.
The good news, too, is that you can find this kit on Amazon for pretty cheap- under $12.00. Nice!Â Worth the price and time… give “Twirled Paper” a twirl!
If you’d like to learn more about quilling, here are some handy-dandy links for you:
http://www.handmade-craft-ideas.com/free-quilling-patterns.html Freebie patterns
http://quilling.blogspot.com/ Quilling blog with free patterns…scroll back a few pages to get some goodies!
http://www.naqg.org/ The North American Quilling Guild….lots of info, patterns, and resources!
And if you just need some eye candy, don’t forget to Google “quilling” and then click “images”– you’ll find pages and pages of sites to check out.
Happy Quilling and Happy Crafting!
If you are considering purchasing this book, I’d appreciate it if you used my affiliate link:
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018