Or, as they say, “Always a Bridesmaid, never a Bride.” – NAH! Just kidding! I got word yesterday that I was one of 5 “Runners-Up” in the Plaid Trick Your Pumpkin Contest. How awesome is that?
The celebrity judges included :
- Candie Cooper, jewelry artist and designer www.candiecooper.com
- Cathie Filian & Steve Piacenza, TV hosts, designers and lifestyle experts www.cathieandsteve.com
- Melody Ross, scrapbooking maven and designer http://melodyross.typepad.com/
- Marisa Pawelko, winner of the CHA Craft Indie Contest, http://modernsurrealist.com/
- Amy Anderson, craft blogger and designer, www.modpodgerocks.blogspot.com
- Simone and Sarah, bloggers and editors from the best craft review site ever www.craftcritique.com
I’ve been told there will be a mega-prize pack of goodies coming my way! Hooray!
In the meanwhile, though, I thought I’d give you the skinny on how I made my pumpkin and the products I used.
To start I used a white “Funkin” and covered it with 2 coats of Silver Extreme Glitter paint by Plaid (remember my review? I love that stuff!) Then I hot glued a black tulle “skirt” to the bottom.
I next made a band to go around my pumpkin. Again, I busted out the hot glue gun and pinch-pleated orange crepe paper streamers to a 2″ wide band of satin polyester ribbon. Then I glued THAT right on to the pumpkin. (Obviously, this is not meant to be outdoors!)
Next was making the center medallion. I started off with printing out an image from the Dover “Old Time Halloween Illustrations” clip art CD, then sealed it with a quick swipe of Mod Podge Matte. (TIP: Don’t brush back and forth- just dip your brush, swipe ONE WAY across the image, then dip and swipe again. Less smearing that way.)
When it was all dry, I cut it out using the Labels One set of Spellbinders Nestabililties dies. Then I added a little extra zing by highlighting the girls hair and pumpkin with gold Shimmer Mod Podge, her dress and hat with silver Shimmer Mod podge, and the red cape and ribbon with Red Extreme Glitter paint. I made the kitty “pop” with Mod Podge Dimensional Magic. Fancy!
To finish off the medallion, I cut a mat with the Nestabilities die using some black polka-dotted cardstock and again, pinch-pleated and hot glued on a crepe paper ruffle. I added some glitter-glue accents, and then attached the medallion with Glue Dots to the pumpkin to keep it secure.
I topped it with a tulle bow and a black crow for good measure. Really, not too hard…just a lot of little steps.
So, a BIG congrats to the whole list of winners:
Congratulations to the following winners!
Faith Schuster from Colchester, CT
Rachel Strange from Winter Garden, FL
Vicki O’Dell from Tallmadge, OH
Jenny Barnett-Rohrs from Lakewood, OH
Sarah Zullo from Gaithersburg, MD
Cassie Box from Liberty, MO
I encourage you to go see all the entries here: http://www.plaidonline.com/CommunityGallery.aspx
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018