Predicting upcoming trends is a fun game for me and I have been creating trend reports in the home decor sector for the Craft and Hobby Association for the past four years.
Due to the slow growth of the economy, the shrinking of the world due to the internet and the prevalence of DIY bloggers it is easy for consumers who wish to do it themselves to find plenty of inspiration, affordable materials and even complete instructions. Let’s take a look at what I see continuing and coming for us late in 2014 and on into 2015. I will come back after CHA and let you know which trends I saw there so stay tuned.
- The world seems to be getting smaller and smaller thanks to modern technology. Being able to see how people live half way around the world is giving current home decor trends a more global look.
- Home Decor and DIY Bloggers are also helping to drive trends by not only providing design inspiration but also full instructions so that home owners can Do It Themselves.
- In many developed countries where there is more man/woman equality more men are spending time at home caring for the children and doing housework. Their influence is beginning to be felt in home decor
- The global economy continues to inform how we decorate as well as what we decorate WITH.
World Flair – The merging of global culture continues to have a big impact on design trends.
- The Swiss Cross – See Swiss Cross Pattern You’re Seeing Everywhere Right Now from Apartment Therapy
- Africa: warm colors, animal skin imitations, wooden furniture with carvings, handmade decorations with an African style
- India: Warm sun infused colors, eclectic prints, colorful fabrics
- Tile and fabrics that have an old fashioned appeal but made from modern materials
- Texture – Fabrics that homeowners want to touch and feel
- Materials that convey warmth and comfort
Embroidery and Knitting
- Practical and decorative accessories for the home.
- Everything from cushions, rugs, and furniture, to lighting, storage, clocks and wallcoverings, nothing is off limits with this trend.
DIY – A trend that is still going strong is the Do It Yourself trend
- People want home decor that means something
- Home owners are looking for more control in how their homes look and function
- DIY bloggers are helping to move this trend along by providing inspiration and even instruction -See Metallic Gold Arrow Accent Wall Tutorial from DIY Showoff
- Functional and practical industrial design – repurposed industrial objects used in home decor
Letters, Words, Fonts, Writing – A simple and affordable way to add creativity and a fresh look to your home
- A simple word like EAT or a whole wall with written text
- Individual letters of different sizes and colors
- Messages – inspirational quotes, family creeds, or a question or phrase
- Gallery walls with worded messages mixed in
Micro Trends – Other trends you might see come along in 2015 – some may be short lived
- Foo Dogs – 7 Things to Know About Foo Dogs from Houzz
- Art – affordable or self-made
- Pops of color in mostly white rooms as well as the opposite end of the spectrum of natural and calming colors
- Solid geometric designs
- Innovative environment-friendly designs are going mainstream
- Pat Catan’s Craft Stores Acquired by Michael’s - February 2, 2016
- Vicki’s CHA Trend Sightings - January 20, 2016
- Vicki’s Favorite Picks from the CHA Top 20 Products - January 10, 2016
- CHA Show 2015: Behind the Scenes with Vicki - January 30, 2015
- CHA Show 2015 – New Jewelry Products to Watch For - January 19, 2015
- CHA Show 2015: Yarnia - January 15, 2015
- Trend Report for 2014-2015 – Home Decor - November 26, 2014
- Review: Stencib Self Adhesive Stencils - May 27, 2014
- Review: Clover Bead Loom Kit - April 29, 2014
- Review: Clover Beading Loom - March 18, 2014