Last weekend our Music Boosters held a fundraiser- and guess who got to make some decorations. (Like, obvious, right?) But here’s the catch- we are on a STRICT budget. I love the Martha Stewart Tissue Poms- but they run about $20 for 20. But why spend that extra cash when you can make your own with tissue paper and SPRAYPAINT? (And get the exact color you need!)
I’ll show you how I did it today.
Disclosure: Krylon supplied me with the paint for this project, and Fiskars gave me the scissors quite a while ago to review. This is not a sponsored post and all of my opinions are my own & based on my first-hand experience with the product. Some links below may be affiliate links.
Let’s start off with the supply list:
- Cheap white tissue paper. I got 100 sheets for $1.77 at a discount store. You can make up to 10 poms per pack.
- Gold Cord (like for tying candy boxes
- Fiskars Amplify Scissors (for cutting through all those layers at once!
- Spraypaint in your choice of colors. You can even use up those 1/2 empty cans or glitter, too!
First, count out 10 sheets of tissue paper. Accordion fold it from top to bottom, about 2″ widths.
Fold that in half. On the folded edge, snip off the corners at a 45-degree angle. If you like, trim the open edge by rounding or making it pointy. I mixed my poms up and made a few of each.
Now here’s where we save the cash- spray paint your poms in whatever color you want. You’ll see the white peek through, but it’s SO much less expensive than buying colored tissue paper.
I made you a little video to show you how I set up my painting station. It can be a little tricky! This video is only 2 minutes long and you’ll get the whole gist of it.
The color is a little off here…but you get the idea:
And what is best is that I had the paint on hand- so we got 20 poms for under $5. And if you had to buy the paint, it would still be under $10. I love thrifty crafting, don’t you?
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017