Note: I’ve updated this post as of October 19th, 2017. I realized I still loved this technique but wanted to update it with some new cards and a tutorial video. New updates will appear in red. And some links may be affiliate links. Thanks & enjoy!
I’m still cranking out cards for Operation Write Home– and I was drawn to the lovely washi tapes that they sent me! (Please note: OWH is no longer sending out cards to the troops, but the website is still active as a resource for card designs & ideas.)
I’ve made you a little video to get you going!
#1: Washi tape as a background.
#2: Washi Tape in place of ribbons. For this card, I used washi tape streaming down from the top of the card, then stapled on a sentiment banner. However, you could use any edge and any shape of a sentiment box- so have fun with it! It’s also a fun way to use different colors and patterns of washi tape without worrying about what “matches.”
#3. Create a focal point with Washi Tape. I used three strips of washi tape vertically and two partial strips horizontally to lead the eye to the embellishment at the intersection. Since I just wrote a post about working in a series, here’s a sub-set I made with this design:
Here’s one more video to consider- making your own washi tape. You can create gorgeous washi tape with tissue paper or thin wrapping paper and a Xyron or double-sided adhesive sheets like Stick It. (You can learn more and see some great examples I made from the tissue paper I just bought at John Lewis!
So there you go! Dig out that washi tape and some blanks cards, and get crafting!
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing and Giveaway! - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018