Note: I’ve updated this post as of October 19th, 2017. I realized I still loved this technique but wanted to update it with some new cards and a tutorial video. New updates will appear in red. And some links may be affiliate links. Thanks & enjoy!
I’m still cranking out cards for Operation Write Home– and I was drawn to the lovely washi tapes that they sent me! (Please note: OWH is no longer sending out cards to the troops, but the website is still active as a resource for card designs & ideas.)
I’ve made you a little video to get you going!
#1: Washi tape as a background.
#2: Washi Tape in place of ribbons. For this card, I used washi tape streaming down from the top of the card, then stapled on a sentiment banner. However, you could use any edge and any shape of a sentiment box- so have fun with it! It’s also a fun way to use different colors and patterns of washi tape without worrying about what “matches.”
#3. Create a focal point with Washi Tape. I used three strips of washi tape vertically and two partial strips horizontally to lead the eye to the embellishment at the intersection. Since I just wrote a post about working in a series, here’s a sub-set I made with this design:
Here’s one more video to consider- making your own washi tape. You can create gorgeous washi tape with tissue paper or thin wrapping paper and a Xyron or double-sided adhesive sheets like Stick It. (You can learn more and see some great examples I made from the tissue paper I just bought at John Lewis!
So there you go! Dig out that washi tape and some blanks cards, and get crafting!
- Thanksgiving Crafts You Can DIY - November 17, 2017
- Crafty Shopping Trip and Haul from Fabric District at Sacre Coeur Basilica, Paris France - November 15, 2017
- Craft Haul and Trip to Liberty of London, UK – October 2017 - November 1, 2017
- Glittered Napkin Card Techniques- Three Ways - October 30, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Blade Rubber in London UK - October 25, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Le BHV in Paris, France - October 20, 2017
- Three Washi Tape Card Ideas - October 19, 2017
- Crafty Travel: Inside John Lewis in London, UK - October 17, 2017
- Alcohol Inks on Acetate- Greeting Cards Three Ways! - September 28, 2017
- Digitizing Your Die Cuts with Cricut Design Space! - September 19, 2017