As my post implies, YES- I AM a roller-derby fan-girl! So I had to get my fave teams t-shirt to wear to the next bout. But of course, it was a plain ol’ boxy tee. Not so cute. So I decided to upcycle it.
Do you know the difference between “upcycling” and “recycling?” Recycling is taking an item destined for the trash pile and turning it into something new and/or useful. Upcycling is when you redesign or refashion an item, but it keeps it’s original purpose. Thought you might want to know!Â
So I cut off the bottom about 3 inches, and then added ruching to the last 3 inches along the side seam.
If you’ve never added ruching with elastic, you should try it. You cut the piece of elastic the length of the amount of ruching you want. Then you tack the elastic where you want the ruching to start, and strreeeeeetch the elastic as you zig-zag stitch it. When the elastic returns to it’s original length, you have gathers!
For the neckline, I just cut off the ribbing and made a slight “v” shape. I hate ribbing.
I modified the sleeves by snipping them open along the outside. I also added that gathered ruching along the shoulder seams.Â I added some side darts to give the shirt some extra shape.
But what makes my tee-shirt the awesome-ist is the crystals…. I added crystal polka-dots!
If you’d like to read the review of the iRock cordless crystal setter- which is what I used to bling it out- just click the link.
And finally…my shirt is ready for Bout Day!
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018