(Subtitle: Or,how the wrong adhesive can sink a great craft project!)
My son was gearing up to make his class Valentine’s cards- hand made, of course- and we decided on a compromise: make decorated juice box sleeves that would double as his cards for his classmates. (For you new readers, I’m big on juice box sleeves- see my posts here.)
We had fun cutting out 2 sizes of hearts on the Cricut (we used the hearts on the Plantin Schoolbook cart), and then we ran the larger heart through the Cuttlebug embossing folders to add texture. We used a plain Elmer’s gluestick to layer the 2 hearts together, and all was well.
However, when it came time to adhere the foil-covered chocolate hearts, we ran into a major adhesive malfunction! I was using the new Elmer’s Glue Adhesive Dot Stamper (which worked great on my daughter’s birthday-themed cutouts earlier in the week.)
I noticed that the candy hearts were pulling away and unwrapping with such a light-weight adhesive, even if I used two! Ooops! Wrong product for the job! Enter in Pop-up Glue Dots to save the day! One of these thick, wide, ultra-tacky dots held the candy securely to the paper sleeve!
I tell you this not to diss Elmer’s product- I LOVE many of their products- but rather to illuminate the point- you MUST have the right adhesive for the job for a craft to be successful. I’ll continue to use the Dot Stamper when adhering paper-to-paper for cards, tags, and scrapbooking- but I’m going to keep my “powerhouse” Glue Dots around for the heavy lifting!
Check out the other project I made on CraftsUnleashed, featuring Glue Dots: Candy Roses! You can make those just in time for Valentines’ Day, too!
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018