Today I have a great tutorial for you! It’s not yet Thanksgiving so I’m not “completely” in holiday mode yet.. but I AM thinking about hostess gifts and decorations that would work for Thanksgiving, Winter Solstice, Hanukkah OR Christmas. (That’s a tough order to fill, right?) Well, these acorn ornaments are that “shabby glamorous” look that’s big right now, and it can be used for ANY fall or winter celebration.
Note: this is a sponsored tutorial and the links below may be affiliate links. Your purchase helps keep CraftTestDummies up and running. Thank you.
To make this craft, you will need a few things:
- Plastic Eggs– I bet you have a few lying around!
- Krylon Spray Paint, in Silver and Champagne
- Krylon Glitter Blast, Diamond Dust
- Hot Glue Gun& Hot Melt Sticks
- Tacky-drying glue is optimal, Coat N Create
- Mini Pom Pom Trim
or natural twine cording
- miscellaneous Off white buttons
- Cypress or Pine Floral picks– I like the ones with the faux snow
- Chunky Glitter Flakes
I made you a video so you could see it step by step. Even with the drying time you’ll only need an hour or so to make a batch of these!
And for you “I like to read the directions” types, here you go!
1. Separate the two portions of the eggs. Coat the smaller half in the tacky dry glue. (It really is easier to work in batches, so why not make 6 at a time?) Set aside to dry.
2. Meanwhile, coat the larger halves of the eggs with a light coat or two of silver Krylon Dual Silver Superbond Paint. (It works amazing on plastic, with NO PRIMING- you can click the link and see my review on it!) Let them dry.
3. Working from the wide end, coil your mini pom pom trim or twine around the egg, covering it completely. Trim the top. Spraypaint with a coat of Dual Superbond Gold paint, if desired.
4) Tie an 8-inch hanging cord through the holes of a button for hanging. Glue this to the top of the acorn “cap.” Hot glue additional faux greenery and sprinkle with glitter if desired.
5) Let set up/cool. Then fit the pieces back together!
As you ca see, the twine ones are just as cute. Very “Rustic Glam,” don’t you think? I love the mixture of shiny and shabby.
I had almost all of these items already on hand- I just went to my local craft store to buy the picks, which were 50% off- so only .50 each!! And as I mentioned, you can work in a batch and make a dozen of these at a time.
Oh… and did I forget the “Surprise” part? NOPE! You can add small gifts, messages, or even clues for a treasure hunt inside. OR you could put a little chocolate truffle inside and use them as your place settings… and poof! Instant gift!
I’m not going to lie- I love these. And I hope you do, too!
What would you put inside- or how could you decorate them to suit your own style?
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017