So I spent this morning raking out beds, uncovering little shoots of spring. My crocus are blooming, and the tulips and daffys are over 1/2 up. It won’t be long until they bloom, too. So with all of this spring springing up around me, my thoughts have turned to garden crafts and yard art. First up: we need a birdbath!
I found a super simple version on FamilyCrafts.com:
Patricia’s Pots also has a how-to, with a slightly different design:
She recommends using liquid nails to hold the whole thing together, and to make sure to seal your pots & saucers before you do your decorative painting. She also uses an oil-based varnish for the insides. Who knew?
Now, if you’re an advanced crafter (ie, SooperCrafty) then you can try the ramped-up version using mosaics. I found some nice step-by-steps at Michaels.com. I’m new to mosaics, so I might wait a spell for this one. But look at the sample- really nice!
Here’s a simple mosaic version. You only have to mosaic the inside, and you use a tomato cage for the base. (Ah, recycling!) However, I wonder how the mosaic will stand up to being underwater all summer. (?) I really like the idea that you can then plant little seedlings at the base, and have some viney flowers adorning your birdbath too! Maybe morning glories?
Finally, I found some instructions on making a cement birdbath on HGTV. This would take a little work and preparation, but really it would be fun embedding rocks, shells, china bits and like in the rim. There are good step-by-step directions with pictures. Yea! This version calls for 2 different sized bowls to act as the molds, but I read somewhere else you could also use the lid of an outdoor garbage can and a bucket to create the well. (And, they also recommended lining the concrete with some metal mesh for added support. Just a thought.)
Well, I think Casa CTD is going to try a simple version with terra cotta pots, and get the kiddos to do the base painting. I have this nice spot in the middle of the yard where the cherry tree used to be, and I need to hide the stump!
Ahhh, Spring! (PS: this would be a nice Earth Day activity, too!)
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017
- Stampin’ Blends from Stamin’ UP Review and Demo - November 21, 2017
- Thanksgiving Crafts You Can DIY - November 17, 2017
- Crafty Shopping Trip and Haul from Fabric District at Sacre Coeur Basilica, Paris France - November 15, 2017
- Craft Haul and Trip to Liberty of London, UK – October 2017 - November 1, 2017
- Glittered Napkin Card Techniques- Three Ways - October 30, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Blade Rubber in London UK - October 25, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Le BHV in Paris, France - October 20, 2017