If you’ve been around CraftTestDummies a while, you know I’m a huge fan of Yo-Yo makers by Clover. (Read my review of the heart-shaped yo-yo maker here.) This year I saw that they came out with the “shamrock” shape and I had. To. Have. It.
Like the other yo-yo makers, the Shamrock Yo-Yo Maker set consists of a template and a tray, which pop together. You put your fabric, right side down into the tray, then pop in the template piece. You trim away the excess fabric to about 1/4 inch, then sew through the guide holes all the way around.
I gave this puppy a try, and I have to say- there IS a learning curve. The first time I tried it, I sewed the fabric to the template. Now, this is more complex then just a heart or circle, so you DO have to pay closer attention.
The second try, I got all the way around without incident. (Closer trimming helped immensely.) Now, this template is very different in that there is a center gather that needs to be done before you pop the template out. (You can see it on the picture above.) OK, got that accomplished, popped the template out, then started gathering….and SNAP! Goes the string.
(Note to self: always wax the thread and use quilting/upholstery thread.)
THIRD try…OK, breathe…. waxed thread? Check. Excess fabric trimmed? Check. Gather in theÂ middle? Check. OK! Gathers pulled….slowly….and knotted…and- hey! It kinda looks like a lumpy-flower-thingy.
As you can see from the side view above, it’s also really thick- about 1/2 inch or so. I think this limits is uses- for example, I wouldn’t put this on a hairclip or a card- it’s just too lumpy.
Maybe I need to pull it tighter? Fuss with it more? I’m not sure. I’m willing to give it another try-or two- but to be honest, I’m going to put it aside and make my shamrocks from the heart-shaped one instead.
Bottom line- while I love my other Clover yo-yo makers, this one wasn’t worth the effort. Feel free to leave YOUR opinion, though…I’m always open-minded!
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018