Recently I was talking with some of my crafty friends about the fabric postcards and tote bags I make, and I mentioned how Peltex is my stabilizer of choice. I got quizzical looks, so I thought I’d share this product with you and some of the fun crafty things you can do with it.
Peltex is made by the company Pellon, and it’s an extra-firm stabilizing material that is about 1/8 inch or 2mm thick. Here’s how it’s described on the website:
Ultra firm, Smooth, Heavy weight stabilizer for accessories, crafts, home decorating, machine embroidery and quilting.Easy to sew – Even when sandwiched with other fabrics.Will not flatten out or be distorted in steam pressing. Peltex has no grain and can be cut in any direction.20″ Wide
It comes in 3 versions:
- 70 – Comes in white or black, 20″ wide
- 71- Comes in white only, 20″ wide, has heat-activated fusible on one side
- 72- Same as above but has heat-activated fusible on BOTH sides
So if you are working on a project and you want it to have a firm body- like a bowl or tote bag- this is a great product. You can iron fabric to the Peltex, cut it out your shapes, and sew it together. When I’ve used the fusible Peltex, I’ve never had issues with the adhesive gumming up the needle. And it works beautifully with machine embroidery, decorative stitches, and satin stitch, due to the wonderful body it has.
Here are some things I’ve made with Peltex:
It’s just a great product! And in the example of the fabric box, I did have to sew some weird seams… and wrestled it under the needle…and then it popped right back into shape! And if you are wondering if you can die cut it, the answer is YES…at least with the Sizzix dies:
I hope that I’ve introduced you to a product that can be OH so handy for home decor, costuming, and artwork!
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018