I was checking out Martha Stewart’s Craft of the Day, and today she was showing off oil cloth lunch bags. Since I’m all for reusable lunch bags, I thought I’d share it here with you.
The only problem? Martha doesn’t give a pattern. But Jumilla Bugs did! This is her version:
i made a cardboard template that is a little ragged but still works. the bag is a very simple 6 pieces:
back / flap – about 61/2 by 14 inches
front – 6 1/2 by 8 1/2 inches
sides – 5 1/2 by 8 1/2 inches
bottom – 6 1/2 by 5 1/2 inches
it is stitched wrong sides together. starting with attaching the front and back pieces to the bottom piece; then the sides to the bottom; then joining these to the front and back, starting the stitching at the bottom.
i put a strip of velcro (hook) horizontal, about 2 inches from the top edge of the back piece, on the wrong side
i put two shorter strips (loop) vertically on the right side of the front piece (to attach to the piece on the back, which folds over to the front when the bag is “closed”.
i also add a little pocket to one side, which you can kind of see here with the bag on the far left. i also add a strap at the top.
If you follow her link to the finished ones, you’ll find some super-cute monkey lunch bags… just great for wee ones or hip chicks! I really couldn’t tell you which ones I liked better.
Now, a few words on oilcloth: if you haven’t used it before, here’s the low-down. It’s really a cotton fabric that has been embedded in vinyl. It’s pretty durable, not too crunchy, and wipes clean. Please don’t throw it in the washing machine, or try to iron it. Bad news. But the fabric doesn’t fray orÂ stretch, and you can make a cute edge by using your pinking shears or scalloped rotary blade. You can even leave your seams to the outside for a fun look. Use a denim needle on your sewing machine & regular thread. For more tips, visit Sew,Mama,Sew.
Who thought a boring old sack lunch could be so cute?!
- Modern Crafts + Activism - June 22, 2017
- Jewelry Tutorial: Making a Resin Pride Pin - June 13, 2017
- “Distress Oxide” technique using Fireworks Ink Sprays - May 31, 2017
- Coastal Texture Paint Review and Demo - May 23, 2017
- Shell Treasure Box DIY - May 19, 2017
- Last-Minute Mother’s Day Gifts! - May 11, 2017
- Brit & Co Craft Kits Now at Target! - May 5, 2017
- Pebeo Paints Part 2: Fantasy Paints (Prisme & Moon) - May 2, 2017
- Show and Share: Eastern Palace Premiere Bundle from Stampin’ UP! - April 28, 2017
- Pebeo Liquid Oil Paints- Part 1: Vitrail, Opale, and Ceramic - April 25, 2017