I received not ONE but TWO different issues of “Artful Blogging” by Somerset Studios over the holidays. I LOVE art/craft magazines, and my thoughtful family and friends know that I’m an artist/crafter/maker and a blogger. They figured that this magazine would be right up my alley.
I am usually very open-minded and try to be objective, but I just don’t get this magazine AT ALL. Why would I want to read about arts/crafts blogs? Why wouldn’t I just READ THE BLOG?
The pictures are pretty. (But I can see them for free on the blogs.) There are plenty of artists in each issue, some of whom I really admire. (But I know most of them already, or could find them on artist/crafter blogrolls.) And worst, the layout is poor. There are so many headings and sub-headings and headlines, I’m not sure when one blog profile ends and the next begins. I don’t often read magazines linearly, and I like to jump around as articles catch myÂ eye. You just can’t do this with this magazine at all.
Lastly, this is an EXPENSIVE publication- over $15.o0 with tax- and it seems to me that a print magazine about an online phenomenon is missing the point. Artful Blogging should be an ONLINE publication, with links out, online profiles, etc.
I’m an advocate and lover of print magazines, but this one really misses the mark for me.
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018