I received not ONE but TWO different issues of “Artful Blogging” by Somerset Studios over the holidays. I LOVE art/craft magazines, and my thoughtful family and friends know that I’m an artist/crafter/maker and a blogger. They figured that this magazine would be right up my alley.
I am usually very open-minded and try to be objective, but I just don’t get this magazine AT ALL. Why would I want to read about arts/crafts blogs? Why wouldn’t I just READ THE BLOG?
The pictures are pretty. (But I can see them for free on the blogs.) There are plenty of artists in each issue, some of whom I really admire. (But I know most of them already, or could find them on artist/crafter blogrolls.) And worst, the layout is poor. There are so many headings and sub-headings and headlines, I’m not sure when one blog profile ends and the next begins. I don’t often read magazines linearly, and I like to jump around as articles catch myÂ eye. You just can’t do this with this magazine at all.
Lastly, this is an EXPENSIVE publication- over $15.o0 with tax- and it seems to me that a print magazine about an online phenomenon is missing the point. Artful Blogging should be an ONLINE publication, with links out, online profiles, etc.
I’m an advocate and lover of print magazines, but this one really misses the mark for me.
- Stampin’ Blends from Stamin’ UP Review and Demo - November 21, 2017
- Thanksgiving Crafts You Can DIY - November 17, 2017
- Crafty Shopping Trip and Haul from Fabric District at Sacre Coeur Basilica, Paris France - November 15, 2017
- Craft Haul and Trip to Liberty of London, UK – October 2017 - November 1, 2017
- Glittered Napkin Card Techniques- Three Ways - October 30, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Blade Rubber in London UK - October 25, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Le BHV in Paris, France - October 20, 2017
- Three Washi Tape Card Ideas - October 19, 2017
- Crafty Travel: Inside John Lewis in London, UK - October 17, 2017
- Alcohol Inks on Acetate- Greeting Cards Three Ways! - September 28, 2017