Maybe it’s seen it’s better days. Or your weight has changed, and it doesn’t fit like it used to. Or you’re just itching to go thrifting and engage in some Earth Day craftiness.
Well, I’ve found an idea for you! Over at Erica Makes Stuff, she’s posted a step-by-step tutorial on refashioning your old sweater into a spiffy new cardigan. According to her, you only need about 1/2 yard of quilters cotton, 1/2 yard of interfacing, some buttons and thread, and about 2.5 hours. (Heck, I probably have enough fabric and notions in my stash to convert every sweater in North America!)
It really looks like this would be a do-able project for beginning sewers… the toughest part is making the collar template, since she doesn’t provide a pattern. But don’t be afraid… you could make a tracing of a collar you already have. (Here’s a little help for drafting a collar pattern, too.) Or, if you’re not ready, just skip the collar altogether.
Anyway, just coordinate your sweater color(s) with fabric for the button placket, and go for it. I think this could be done in a super-funky retro 50’s style (and how about adding that gi-normous monogram to the left shoulder!!!) or use a sweet 30’s print and add some (here it comes…) cute yo-yo’s to dress up the neckline! (You knew it had to have a yo-yo, right?)
There’s no doubt that recycling/refashioning clothes is a hot trend right now – and with Earth Day approaching, give it a shot and earn yourself some bragging rights!
PS… Fellow crafty blogger Woof Nanny sent me a link to this photo, of her repurposed sweater. She added the cool zips. Funky!
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018