Maybe it’s seen it’s better days. Or your weight has changed, and it doesn’t fit like it used to. Or you’re just itching to go thrifting and engage in some Earth Day craftiness.
Well, I’ve found an idea for you! Over at Erica Makes Stuff, she’s posted a step-by-step tutorial on refashioning your old sweater into a spiffy new cardigan. According to her, you only need about 1/2 yard of quilters cotton, 1/2 yard of interfacing, some buttons and thread, and about 2.5 hours. (Heck, I probably have enough fabric and notions in my stash to convert every sweater in North America!)
It really looks like this would be a do-able project for beginning sewers… the toughest part is making the collar template, since she doesn’t provide a pattern. But don’t be afraid… you could make a tracing of a collar you already have. (Here’s a little help for drafting a collar pattern, too.) Or, if you’re not ready, just skip the collar altogether.
Anyway, just coordinate your sweater color(s) with fabric for the button placket, and go for it. I think this could be done in a super-funky retro 50’s style (and how about adding that gi-normous monogram to the left shoulder!!!) or use a sweet 30’s print and add some (here it comes…) cute yo-yo’s to dress up the neckline! (You knew it had to have a yo-yo, right?)
There’s no doubt that recycling/refashioning clothes is a hot trend right now – and with Earth Day approaching, give it a shot and earn yourself some bragging rights!
PS… Fellow crafty blogger Woof Nanny sent me a link to this photo, of her repurposed sweater. She added the cool zips. Funky!
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017