Little known fact: my #1 search term that brings people to my blog is “Necktie Crafts.” Really. And I don’t know WHY I have such a fascination for old neckties…but well, I do. And here’s another craft to get you scouring your grandpa’s closet and thrift stores!
These coffee cuffs areÂ also a NO-SEW project- hurray! You can whip up a slew of these in a 1/2 hour or less…and all you need is neckties, Fabri-Tac, and a few embellishments.
First of all, I want to say that actually skinnier ties work better. Not those 80-s type skinny ties, but not the jumbo fat ones Uncle Tony used to wear, either.
You’ll start off by bringing home a t0-go cup from your favorite coffee shop and use that to loosely guide you as to where you’ll want to cut the tie. I just wrapped it around, and left about 2 inches to tuck into the back:
So I just cut off the excess with a pair of scissors, then laid it flat on the table. To get that tapered shape that most coffee cups have, you’ll want to line up the bottom edge of the tie-point with the top of the other side. Take a look:
It makes a little “mountain” on the top of the cuff, but I like that- it gives it interest and reminds you that YES, this is a tie. (By the way, we are not de-constructing the tie because it has that nice liner in it that gives it body and acts like insulation.)
So after you line up the edges just so, make sure that the raw (cut) end is tucked nicely into the folded portion on the back of the tie point, then peel back the edge and add a line of Fabri-Tac glue:
Now for the embellishing! This is all about YOU, now. I stamped one of my favorite quotes onto some bleached muslin, then glued it to the front. I added a few drops of dimensional fabric paint, too.
- add a yo-yo
- photo transfer of your favorite kids or dog
- felt flowers
- use an old brooch or funky pin
- Iron-on appliques
Really, that’s where YOUR creativity comes in. I think these will make fun Father’s day gifts, and well as making a cool “Earth Day” statement. Have fun!
And if you liked THIS post about neckties, here are my others. Knock yourself out!
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017
- Stampin’ Blends from Stamin’ UP Review and Demo - November 21, 2017
- Thanksgiving Crafts You Can DIY - November 17, 2017
- Crafty Shopping Trip and Haul from Fabric District at Sacre Coeur Basilica, Paris France - November 15, 2017
- Craft Haul and Trip to Liberty of London, UK – October 2017 - November 1, 2017
- Glittered Napkin Card Techniques- Three Ways - October 30, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Blade Rubber in London UK - October 25, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Le BHV in Paris, France - October 20, 2017