I LOVE it when we can recycle “garbage” into fun crafts for the kids. This is a craft I shared on my PBS show, “Hands on Crafts for Kids” this year. But I wanted to share the segment and instructions with you here, too!
Here is the full segment for you to enjoy (I hope) and you can see me crafting right along- so you know it’s DO-able!
Here’s that list of materials:
- Acrylic Paint or markers
- 12” FloraCraft® Styrofoam™ Brand ½” thick Sheet
- Two matching soda bottles
- Silver or white paint
- Foam brush
- Duct tape
- Cardboard or snow-cone paper
- Fin Pattern (FinTemplate)- Print 1 at 100%
Remove labels from the bottles. Rinse out bottles thoroughly and let dry. Save one cap.
Measure down 1/3 of the way from the neck of one of the bottles. Using pointy scissors, poke a hole in and cut all the way around.
Place the cut-off neck on the END of the other plastic bottle. It will slide on. Using foam brush, paint the rocket. You can use the cut-off end to stabilize the rocket. Let dry. Apply a second coat brushing in the opposite direction for complete coverage.
Print out fin pattern. Cut out with scissors. Trace onto foam sheet and cut out with a plastic knife. Make 3 fins. Using duct tape, cut lengths long enough to adhere to bottle. Each fin needs 2 pieces of tape. Adhere fins to bottle.
Paint cone to match the bottle. Let dry. (You can also create a cone out of a circle of construction paper.) Use small strips of duct tape to adhere to bottle.
Using painter’s markers, create flames, logos, and other fun decorations.
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018