I feel a little late to the Distress Crayon party- I saw Tim Holtz share these at CHA, demonstrating these water- soluble “crayons” (they are not wax at all, but a pigment/media blend) earlier this year.
*Disclosure: I purchased these with my my own funds. Some links below may be affiliate shopping links.**
We even took this video:
But of course, one of the hallmarks of CraftTestDummies is that we test and try products like Distress Crayons for ourselves, giving you an unbiased, honest take!
I sat down over several days (and also several Periscope broadcasts) trying these out- and so now I have my OWN take for you!
Here are my take-aways…
- easy to use- not very messy
- nice pen-grip style
- color glides on very well
- colors match all of the other Ranger products
- really fun especially with stencils
- Not as dense color as I’d like- this especially shows up on black paper or in the direct-to-stamp examples:
- Not as much product in the package as some other water-soluble crayons
- Personally I wish they were even a little MORE water reactive!
- Can be pricey at $12.99-$20 per set of 6. (PS- this affiliate link to Simon Says Stamp has them for $12.99 a set!)
I know you have a lot of choices out there, and I try to bring you information that will help you make an informed decision. (PS- you may be interested in my review of Gelatos- another water-soluble coloring medium here!)
So what do you think? Are Distress Crayons right for you?
Lastly, if you’d like to see HOW I test product, you might enjoy my LIVE Periscope chats or my cached shows on Katch.me. They are long-form- 30 minutes or more- but you can ask questions LIVE or see what others have asked. It’s kind of like being in the studio with me!
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018