No fear! We can recycle them into fun rainbow crayons, and keep the kiddos occupied for a while, too.
- First up, sorting all of the broken crayons. (My 3-year-old loved this part!)
- Peel off the paper wrappings on the crayons. (Keep them in a baggie…we can use those later, too!)
- Sort the crayons by color categories- cools, pinks, brights, whatever.
- Break the crayons up into 1 inch bits, and drop them into those Reynolds disposable aluminum “fun shape” baking cups. (Note: I think they aren’t making these anymore, but I found the star ones at the dollar store. I stocked up!)
- Put your aluminum baking cups on a cookie sheet, and pop it into a 275 oven for, oh, 15 minutes or so. You’ll see when it’s melted through.
- You can either turn off the oven and wait for it to cool in there, or take them out and let them cool on the counter. I was impatient, so after they were cool enough to handle, I stuck them in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- When cool, peel off the aluminum. Voila! Fun rainbow crayons!!
Another note: sometimes if the crayons are cheap, there is a lot of uncolored wax that floats to the top, creating a hazy, waxy layer. There’s no pigment in this layer, so kids can get a little frustrated because their crayon won’t work. You can remove this layer with a little skillful paring with a knife, or else melt it off with a heat gun or blow dryer. Just hold the crayon carefully, and heat up the waxy film and let it drip into a pile of paper towels or old newspaper.)
Now you just have to open up some old paper shopping bags and let ’em get creative!
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017