Mod Podge One-Step Crackle Medium
I am so excited to be giving you my very first review here on CTD and I’m elated to be a part of this amazing team. Hi everyone, Erika Taylor here today with a review of the Mod Podge one-Step Crackle Medium. Being a medium junkie, when I received this product in my box of goodies from CTD, I knew it would be my first review. I’ve used many different crackle mediums before and dug right in with Mod Podge. Here is what the Plaid site says about their Mod Podge One-Step crackle medium.
Use it on its own or with any Mod Podge formula to create fine eggshell cracks on any decoupage surface.
Size: 2 oz.
- One-Step Crackle medium
- Fine Crackle Effect, Create Aged, Weathered effects with Fine Crackle Medium. Water based, non-toxic
- Apply Mod Podge to top layer of surface. Let Dry 1 hour. Roll bottle on tabletop to mix. Apply a thin even coat of Mod Podge Crackle medium in one direction with even strokes using a soft bristle brush or sponge brush, then smooth out that same layer in opposite direction. Do not apply a second coat. Avoid over-brushing. Let dry completely 1 hour. Cracking shows when medium is dry. When dry, apply topcoat of contrasting color missed with glazing medium. Wipe off wet topcoat, leaving color only in cracks. Do not use in humid conditions. Clean up while wet with soap and water.
Now I decided to do a few different materials for the swatches. I used cardstock, both painted and unpainted, stamped cardstock with alcohol markers, Gelatos on cardstock, chipboard, ribbon, patterned paper and misted paper. I applied the crackle medium as described on the directions and waited an hour to see the results.
They are definitely right on the mark with the description of fine eggshell cracks. It was hard to see them unless I did apply a different color on top and blended that into the cracks. Here you can see the swatches.
Super fine crackles indeed. Here are a few of the swatches close up after I applied Mix’d Media Ink to them.
I decided to create a card using the One-Step Crackle Medium, and it did come out aged and distressed.
All in all, the Mod Podge One-Step Crackle Medium does deliver on its promise of the fine cracked effect. I did need to add color on top as mentioned above, in order to be happy with the results. Here are my pros and cons for the product
- Fairly quick drying time
- Delivers even fine eggshell cracks on almost all materials.
- Easy to use with just one step
- Comes with sponge brush for easy application
- If you are sensitive to smells, this one does have an odor to begin with
- Used to shaking a formula and if you do, this won’t work. Make sure you roll it on the table like you are using a rolling pin
- Wasn’t fond of the fact that only 1 size of crack appears regardless of the amount of medium used
If you are looking for a quick way to add an aged or distressed look to your projects, I would recommend Mod Podge One-Step Crackle Medium. At $6.99 for a 2oz bottle, it will last you a while for sure since you don’t need tonnes of it to get the cracked effect.
Disclosure: Sample provided for review purposes only
- Pat Catan’s Craft Stores Acquired by Michael’s - February 2, 2016
- Vicki’s CHA Trend Sightings - January 20, 2016
- Vicki’s Favorite Picks from the CHA Top 20 Products - January 10, 2016
- CHA Show 2015: Behind the Scenes with Vicki - January 30, 2015
- CHA 2015 Day 2 - January 20, 2015
- CHA Show 2015 – New Jewelry Products to Watch For - January 19, 2015
- CHA Show 2015: Yarnia - January 15, 2015
- CHA 2015: Day 1 - January 11, 2015
- Craft Product Review: Mod Podge Furniture in 3 Finishes - January 5, 2015
- Trend Report for 2014-2015 – Home Decor - November 26, 2014