I got a new favorite tool in my studio – it’s the Dremel Stylus rotary tool. I had a traditional Dremel, and used it when I had to. I found that it’s thick barrel made it difficult for me to hold and drill with accurately. The folks at Dremel seemed to have read my mind and felt my pain, because the new Stylus is just the ticket!
First of all, it has a rechargeable battery, and it fits into a holder- thingy and recharges every time you put it into it’s little holster. LOVE THAT! And, it has some fancy-schmacy technology so that you can have it continuously charge and it won’t damage the battery. Cool.
Secondly, it nestles ergronimically into your grip, and you hold it like a pencil. It’s weight is nicely distributed, so that you feel like you have good control over the tool, even if you are drilling at funky angles. And I’m usually drilling weird things, so I’m faced with lots of funky angles.
Thirdly, you can set the speed of RPM on the end of the tool, and just use the little “on” button conveniently located by your index finger. The old versions had the “on” as part of the RPM dial, and I was never sure exactly where to put it…. now, I’ve found my favorite drilling speed, and it’ll go there every time I tap it on or off. Much more efficient!
Lastly, it’s compatible with it’s predecessors, which means I can use the old collets and bits with the new drill, saving me a little cash.
Admittedly, I really only use the Dremel for drilling, but I did use it to ream out some holes in vinyl (see my post about Recycled Record Clocks), and it worked well for that, too. I’m just happy that I’ve found a tool that makes my crafting a bit easier and more successful. Verdict: CRAFTASTIC!
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018