I love handmade gifts and jewelry, and I love flowers, too! So why not put them together and make a vintage-themed pendant that features pressed flowers that you can wear? Right on!
Disclosure: GreetingsofGrace.com sponsored this video for YouTube and supplied the flowers for the project. Some links below are affiliate links.
For this project, you’ll need:
- Bookplates that have FOUR SIDES- new or recycled
- 2 part epoxy resin
- pressed flowers (you can use your own or use some from Greetings of Grace if they aren’t in season where you live)
- mixing cups and sticks for the resin
- mica flakes are optional for the back
- packing tape
- non-stick surface like this crafting mat
- jump rings, head pin, crystal beads to make your own dangle, or just pop on a silk tassel that is ready-made!
I created this video to show you how… written directions to follow!
First, wipe off the front of the bookplate with glass cleaner. When it’s fully dry, apply a piece of packing tape to the FRONT of the bookplate and burnish it down thoroughly.
Place the bookplate upside DOWN on your worktable. You will be working from the back, meaning that everything will be upside down.
Mix epoxy resin according to directions and using appropriate precautions as noted on package.
Drizzle a layer of resin on the sticky tape- just a scant 1/16-1/18 inch layer is enough.
Gently place a flower UPSIDE DOWN on top of the resin. Gently pat it down to work out air bubbles. Fill the frame with flowers as you like, or keep it to just one focus flower.
Drizzle on another layer of resin to just cover the backs of the flowers. Add some mica flakes as a last layer if you like that “silvered mirror” look. You DON’T need to add more resin if you are adding the mica flakes.
Let cure according to the directions on the package.
When fully cure, carefully peel the packing tape away from the cured resin. Add a jump ring to hang, and add an extra tassel or crystal bead dangle if you like.
Oh, and I should mention again that Greetings of Grace has a 10% off code if you order from them- just use “CRAFTTESTDUMMIES” at checkout!
Do you have a special flower variety that has meaning for you? I’d love to hear from you!
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017