I’ve been spending a lot of time lately with liquid polymer clay, this time playing with stained glass effects. In my previous tests of liquid clay, I checked to see which brand cured the clearest. Consequently I determined Kato Liquid Medium was really the best product for this set of samples.
I really lucked out two years ago, and ran across a sale on the glass suncatcher forms. They are glass, shaped like stars and circles, and already have a hole drilled in the top. They were on discount at Pat Catan’s, so I snapped them up. (My motto is buy now, figure out what to do with it later!)
I smeared a thin layer of liquid clay on the glass, and then used black Premo that I extruded for the “leading”. I baked this first step to make sure it would stay put without distorting. Then I mixed up my LQ and alcohol inks (I used Pinata, but you could use Ranger) and filled the areas using a toothpick. Remember, Kato liquid is runny- so you have to be careful. Really TLS would be easier to manage in this application, and I think I’ll use that in the future. So I filled up the little areas, and baked it again.
The treble-clef example I did on memory glass, and made a “frame” from another piece of extruded clay.
The “forever” hearts piece was done on white clay instead of glass, but constructed the same way. I added some micro beads for interest, and then framed out the piece with extruded clay. I added about 3 more layers of liquid clay to fill the entire frame, and made it look more like it was under glass. Fun!
If you need to purchase Liquid Polymer Clay items, I hope you’ll use my affiliate links:
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018