I love to make cards, but after I while I feel like they all look the same. So today I’m going to share with you- or remind you, at least- of a fun, easy way to give your cards a little 3-d “pop” with Peek-a-Boo Windows!
To do this technique, you’ll need
- Darice Embossing folders that have ” window” in the design: Star
- Cutting Mat
- Craft Blade
- Darice Tape Runner
- Tacky Glue
- Punches that go with your theme I used the Martha Stewart “anywhere” star punch and the Martha Stewart Butterfly
- Card Blanks
The technique is really, really simple. First you emboss your Core’Dinations cardstock in your choice of color. (Core’Dinations is the best cardstock for this technique because there is a colored core versus plain white.)
(Note how I didn’t trim the cardstock yet- that can wait until you get ready to mount it to the front of the card blanks. ) Next, use your dry adhesive to attach the cardstock to the card blank. Use a fair amount- don’t be stingy!
Now open up the card and place it right-side-up on the cutting mat. Use your craft blade to cut out the inside of the window, cutting through both layers.
Turn the card back the right way and use the sanding block to lightly distress the embossed portion to reveal the colored core underneath.Â Determine the approximate middle of the window. Use your punch to cut a two matching shapes. (I used two different shades of blue.)
Glue the first shape (in this case the star) in the middle of the window. Take the second punced shape and bend it from the midpoint to create a 3-D effect. Use a little dab of glue to layer.
Here’s a version using the butterfly embossing folder and Martha Stewart punches:
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing and Giveaway! - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018