Today I got my weekly SitRep from Operation Write Home’s founder, Sandy Allnock- and it included a shocker. Due to the troops being withdrawn (and correspondingly the number of cards needed) there is beginning to be an imbalance in the amount of administration time needed and the folks being served. So she’s decided to wrap it up.
Take a look at the full 12-minute video here:
Here are some important highlights:
- There will probably be funds left over from OWH- so those will be donated directly to the USO. (OWH is fully funded through 2015!)
- They will NOT change their mission from serving deployed troops; so fewer troops overseas = fewer cards needed.
- It’s not feasible to hand off OWH to another group due to the administration costs.
- The troops are requesting fewer cards and OWH will continue to serve them until the cards run out.
- All cards must be sent in by AUGUST 1, 2015. That is the cut-off date for the last batch of cards!
- There will be a final “wrap party” in December 2015
- The website, youtube, and social media channels will continue to be maintained.
- Watch for the Memorial Day Bloghop with the theme of “Finishing Strong.”
Sandy estimates that over SIX MILLION lives have been touched by the troops and their families through hand-made cards. That really illustrates the power of craft!
Now, if you still have the urge to create cards for charitable organizations, I found CardsForHospitalizedKids which send handmade cards to hospitals and Ronald McDonald Houses nationwide. I have no experience with them, but I’ll be looking into doing a post on them so we can learn more.
Lastly- if you know of a charity that accepts handmade cards, please leave a comment below! I have a feeling there will be a number of card-makers that will be looking for new places to send their handmade card donations.
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017
- Stampin’ Blends from Stamin’ UP Review and Demo - November 21, 2017
- Thanksgiving Crafts You Can DIY - November 17, 2017
- Crafty Shopping Trip and Haul from Fabric District at Sacre Coeur Basilica, Paris France - November 15, 2017
- Craft Haul and Trip to Liberty of London, UK – October 2017 - November 1, 2017
- Glittered Napkin Card Techniques- Three Ways - October 30, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Blade Rubber in London UK - October 25, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Le BHV in Paris, France - October 20, 2017