Ali Edwards came up with the “One Little Word” concept- picking one word to guide your intentions, resolutions, actions. As an artist/crafter/maker, sometimes one little word is all you need as a springboard to inspire you. I decided start the year offÂ with a project featuring one of my favorite mediums, polymer clay.
For this project, I used:
- Pardo polymer clay in Olivine, Gold, and some Sculpey black
- metal bookplate
- jade beads
- cheap craft wire
- white acrylic paint
- metal letter stamps
- key charm & some large jumprings
I marbled the clay using a pasta machine, and then rolled out a sheet of clay on the largest setting. I doubled the sheet and used a brayer to eliminate air bubbles. The sheet needed to be just larger than the book plate I used.
Next I placed the bookplate on top of the clay and used a blade to cut around it. I flipped it over and trimmed away from where the holes were. Placing it right side up, I pushed the plate deep into the clay to create a domed effect.
Working carefully, I used the metal stamping tools to impress my word into the clay. Smooth any imperfections with your finger. Bake you piece as recommended.
When it’s done and cool, swipe some acrylic paint into the letter impressions. Wipe away the excess with a paper towel. Let this dry overnight. Lightly sand and buff your piece to get a high shine.
As you can see in my sample, I wired up a beautiful jade bead because the green went so well with the clay, but also because it’s purported to bring the wearer serenity, calm, and prosperity. I can use that!
My goal is to make one object a month focusing on my word, using different mediums. How are YOU expressing your One Little Word?
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018
- NUVO Aqua Flow Markers (review and demo) - January 3, 2018
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017