Last year was epic for me and my family. I don’t use that word flippantly, either. Seriously Epic.
But let me back up a bit. Last year I selected my One Little Word – Embrace.
I wanted to hold my heart open t embrace new experiences and changes…and to do so gracefully.
Now, for those who may not know what’s been going on, here’s a little list of some of those epic changes:
- I started working on HSN on LIVE TV.
- I had serious infection that landed me in the hospital.
- I traveled to Florida, Hawaii, California, and the Bahamas. 🙂
- My husband and I designed a deck and had it built over the summer.
- I had surgery over the summer.
- My husband wrote a book! (And yes, I’m in it.)
- I finally realized that my chronic back pain was something to pay attention to and got a very sobering diagnosis.
- We welcomed a foreign-exchange student into our home and hearts.
See? SO MUCH.
I’ve been thinking and thinking about my OLW for 2014, and after thinking it over for days, I’ve come up with two.
The firs is MOXIE.
n. Slang1. The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage.2. Aggressive energy; initiative: “His prose has moxie, though it rushes and stumbles from a pent-up surge” (Patricia Hampl).3. Skill; know-how.
I also like the word METTLE.
met·tle (mtl)n.1. Courage and fortitude; spirit: troops who showed their mettle in combat.2. Inherent quality of character and temperament.
on (one’s) mettlePrepared to accept a challenge and do one’s best.
To be honest, I’ve got a lot more work to do to deal with my back issues, and I’m surely going to have to prove my mettle. And my husband is traveling this year more than ever, which will test my moxie as well.
I really love the part of the definition that speaks to “spirit and courage.”
And then there is that part about skill & kn0w-how. I mean, isn’t that what I’m working for every day here on CraftTestDummies? To improve my know-how and share it with you?
So there it is. I’m gonna MOXIE up and show my METTLE and get in gear for 2014.
Do you have a One Little Word? I’d be honored if you shared yours below.
As always, thanks for being here and sharing this amazing journey with me!
With Moxie and Mettle,
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018