I’m not a big resolution-maker; as a former music therapist, I’ve been trained to make short term or long term goals with measurable and observable data. But I do like the idea of taking stock and re-evaluating my life’s mission statement. And on our long drive to NYC last week, I had a lot of time to think.
I’m always rushing from one task to another, from one event to another, and sometimes it feels like it’s all just washing past me. And that if I took better care, or more time, I might get more out of it all.
In that same vein, with this blog I’m usually rushing from one review to another, and then deadlines creep up on me and I’m not working a particular plan… it’s all higgledy-piggledy. And my craft room? ALWAYS under construction or revisement. I certainly need better habits to create and maintain mise en place. (Now where are those scissors, anyway???)
So I looked for a word that would match this need to slow down and become more deliberate in my thoughts and actions. Planning ahead. Savoring the moment. Considering the details and the ramifications.
I auditioned a good dozen before I boiled it down.
Just be mindful.
Of what you eat, what you say, the moment you’re in, where you put it down last. (Really, that last one is gonna take some work!)
To celebrate, I’ve cracked open my Dyan Reavely journal that I got TWO YEARS AGO but have been “saving” for just the right thing. (What is that? I have no idea.)
But now is a good time to be mindful of my possessions and USE what I have and enjoy it, instead of squirreling it away. It’s also a good reason to get back into my art journaling practice and spend a little day being mindful of my interior landscape and tending some of those dream gardens! I’m hoping to be able to share that with you a bit more, too.
So how about you? Ever do a #OLW challenge? Does a word leap to mind or do you have to let it develop? I’d love to hear from you and if you have links to blog posts or photos of your One Little Word, please come share it!
Link up by using the blue “Inlinkz” hyperlink below if your browser doesn’t support the pop-up.
Happy Crafty (and Mindful) New Year!
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018