Well, here were are, at the end of the year. One of the joys of our New Year’s celebration is welcoming friends into our home and having a bit of wine or champagne. I was thinking about that old phrase “Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver and the older is gold.” So I made some silver and gold toasting glasses. They are super easy to make and you can make them in about a half-hour- no kidding!
- wine glasses
- masking tape
- glass etching cream & paintbrush (optional)
- Beacon Surface Makeover glue (it dries tacky!)
- disposable cup & paintbrush
Update- here’s another idea you can skip the glass etching and just glitter the bottoms. OR you could use a “frosted effect spray” like the one from Krylon. You’ll have to hand-wash the glasses, then, or it will come off in the dishwasher. But you have options if you don’t want to use the etching cream!
First, place the masking tape about 3 inches down from the rim of the glass. Then use the etching cream to etch the bottom part of the glass and stem. (This part is optional, but I like the way it looks.)
The instructions on mine said to wait 5 minutes, but I found 10 was better. And if it turns out splotchy, just repeat the process. Rinse the etching cream according to the directions, and then dry the glass.
Next, paint the bottom of the stem with the Surface Makeover Glue. It dries SUPER tacky, so be careful not to get it on your clothes. (It washes off with soap and water while it’s still wet. After the glue is dry (it will go clear) sprinkle on your glitter.
Now you can brush off the extra with your fingers and make sure you’ve covered all the sticky bits.
NOW… fill with wine and enjoy!
- Modern Crafts + Activism - June 22, 2017
- Jewelry Tutorial: Making a Resin Pride Pin - June 13, 2017
- “Distress Oxide” technique using Fireworks Ink Sprays - May 31, 2017
- Coastal Texture Paint Review and Demo - May 23, 2017
- Shell Treasure Box DIY - May 19, 2017
- Last-Minute Mother’s Day Gifts! - May 11, 2017
- Brit & Co Craft Kits Now at Target! - May 5, 2017
- Pebeo Paints Part 2: Fantasy Paints (Prisme & Moon) - May 2, 2017
- Show and Share: Eastern Palace Premiere Bundle from Stampin’ UP! - April 28, 2017
- Pebeo Liquid Oil Paints- Part 1: Vitrail, Opale, and Ceramic - April 25, 2017