Well, here were are, at the end of the year. One of the joys of our New Year’s celebration is welcoming friends into our home and having a bit of wine or champagne. I was thinking about that old phrase “Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver and the older is gold.” So I made some silver and gold toasting glasses. They are super easy to make and you can make them in about a half-hour- no kidding!
- wine glasses
- masking tape
- glass etching cream & paintbrush (optional)
- Beacon Surface Makeover glue (it dries tacky!)
- disposable cup & paintbrush
Update- here’s another idea you can skip the glass etching and just glitter the bottoms. OR you could use a “frosted effect spray” like the one from Krylon. You’ll have to hand-wash the glasses, then, or it will come off in the dishwasher. But you have options if you don’t want to use the etching cream!
First, place the masking tape about 3 inches down from the rim of the glass. Then use the etching cream to etch the bottom part of the glass and stem. (This part is optional, but I like the way it looks.)
The instructions on mine said to wait 5 minutes, but I found 10 was better. And if it turns out splotchy, just repeat the process. Rinse the etching cream according to the directions, and then dry the glass.
Next, paint the bottom of the stem with the Surface Makeover Glue. It dries SUPER tacky, so be careful not to get it on your clothes. (It washes off with soap and water while it’s still wet. After the glue is dry (it will go clear) sprinkle on your glitter.
Now you can brush off the extra with your fingers and make sure you’ve covered all the sticky bits.
NOW… fill with wine and enjoy!
- Crafty Travel: Inside John Lewis in London, UK - October 17, 2017
- Alcohol Inks on Acetate- Greeting Cards Three Ways! - September 28, 2017
- Digitizing Your Die Cuts with Cricut Design Space! - September 19, 2017
- Cricut Maker Unboxing, Set Up & First Project Review - September 12, 2017
- Tim Holtz/ Tonic Stamping Platform Review - September 5, 2017
- TouchFive Markers Review and Demo - September 1, 2017
- Marbling Medium from Martha Stewart Crafts - August 29, 2017
- Kit XChange Organization System - August 25, 2017
- NYC Craft Shopping and Haul (plus some chit-chat) - August 15, 2017
- DIY Quilled Paper Flower Embellishments - August 11, 2017