Happy New Year! I have been AWOL from my blog for a while- I’ve been cleaning up and packing up my studio. The good news is that in 3 months or so, I’ll be in a new, improved studio space. The bad news is that a lot of my supplies are going into storage until then.
It’s been a painful experience- literally- packing up my goodies. I had to put my hands on every piece of scrapbook paper to pack it away; I’dÂ forgotten how lovely some of my papers are! Then the inks, pastels, chalks, oils, and acrylics had to go in a box. (Gasp!) My soldering kit got taped up and packed away. (Sigh!) Patterns,Â fabrics, scrapbook projects, UFO’s…. all packed away. (Sniff!)
In order to put alway so much, I’ve had to really THINK about what I’m planning to do in the next three months. So much of what I want to do is spontaneous- I just pull stuff out and start to play, and then see where it takes me. I never know if I’m going to be making fabric postcards or beaded cuff bracelets or altered books. This process has made me really prioritize and make decisions. “Yes!” to Valentines’ Day cards, “no” to scrapbooking that Mexico vacation. “Yes!” to making that lap quilt, “no” to soldered art. “Yes!” to the bead box, polymer clay kit, and collage box. “No” to assemblage work, fabric dyeing, and sewing clothes. Whew!
So that brings me to the whole “New Years” portion of my post. I’m not really a fan of resolutions- the flip of a calendar page doesn’t determine when our hearts and minds are ready for changes- I AM a fan of taking regular inventories. If you had to look critically at your studio, your crafts, your stash, what could you say YOU wouldn’t be using for the next 3-6 months? A year? Ever?? Maybe it’s time to thin a few things out, pass a few things on, make room for new products, ideas, and techniques. I’m donating some of my “de-stashed” items, as it makes it easier to part with them. A local daycare is getting stickers and paper, and an activities director is getting various crafty goodies…. and a few books and kits are going to end up here as blog give-aways.
I’m inviting you to leave a comment, letting me know what craft or items you can “let go of” in the new year, and what item you couldn’t live without for the next three months. I’ll pick a person at random & gift them with a surprise from my studio…. since I’m cleaning out, there will be a few things to choose from!
- Jewelry Tutorial: Making a Resin Pride Pin - June 13, 2017
- “Distress Oxide” technique using Fireworks Ink Sprays - May 31, 2017
- Coastal Texture Paint Review and Demo - May 23, 2017
- National Mod Podge Day- Shell Treasure Box DIY - May 19, 2017
- Last-Minute Mother’s Day Gifts! - May 11, 2017
- Brit & Co Craft Kits Now at Target! - May 5, 2017
- Pebeo Paints Part 2: Fantasy Paints (Prisme & Moon) - May 2, 2017
- Show and Share: Eastern Palace Premiere Bundle from Stampin’ UP! - April 28, 2017
- Pebeo Liquid Oil Paints- Part 1: Vitrail, Opale, and Ceramic - April 25, 2017
- Flower Fairies and Woodland Sprite Earth Day Craft - April 18, 2017