As part of my move here to #NYC (you can read a bit about that here) I’m setting up my new studio. I did bring a few pieces with me, including my slatwall spinner. But it was in sore need of a makeover! So I used Ceramcoat Chalk Paint to give it a facelift!
(Disclosure: Plaid sent me the paint, but I’m sharing this because I used it and I loved it. I was not compensated for this post.)
One of the downsides of getting new studio furniture is that it made my old spinner look dingy and shabby. The finish is a kind of ecru color that, next to my new IKEA furniture, looked REALLY drab. Check it out:
So I thought it needed some color- and you all know how much I love TEAL!
(Or at least you do now!)
I broke out the new Ceramcoat Chalk Paint that I was gifted by Plaid… in Dragonfly. It’s a yummy color, and the swatch on the top is true to the actual shade.
I used a wide flat brush to get into the nooks and crannies, and then used a roller on the slatwall and other flat surfaces. I have a tendency to be a bit impulsive, so I didn’t wash or “rough up” the spinner first. I just went to town.
The first coat was expectedly spotty- but really the coverage was pretty good all things considered. I used about 1/3 of an 8 ounce jar on the first coat. I stepped away and had lunch, and wen I came back it was dry. So I repeated the process with a second coat that same day.
It just needed a few touch ups…
….and another hour to dry or so. Then I was ready to load it up!
Now again, I am a bit impulsive and didn’t bother to do a top coat of wax or varnish. the slatwall doesn’t really get hard wear and tear, so I figured it would be OK. And I needed to unpack those boxes STAT!
Now doesn’t that look great?
PS- you can see some of the colors in the Chalk paint on the lower four shelves.
If you’d like to see more, or hear about my process, I made a Periscope and edited down a bit… and made this video:
I love the way it turned out- and the color is SO YUMMY! And I love seeing all of my paints set up and looking lovely.
What do you think? Have you made over a piece furniture with chalk paint? Leave me a a comment and let me know!
- Mini Blossom Die Cutting Machine from Altenew (Review and Demo) - December 8, 2017
- Review and Demo of the Nuvo Brush Script Pens from Tonic Studios - December 6, 2017
- Metallic Accents Watercolor Review and Demo (Prima Marketing) - November 28, 2017
- Stampin’ Blends from Stamin’ UP Review and Demo - November 21, 2017
- Thanksgiving Crafts You Can DIY - November 17, 2017
- Crafty Shopping Trip and Haul from Fabric District at Sacre Coeur Basilica, Paris France - November 15, 2017
- Craft Haul and Trip to Liberty of London, UK – October 2017 - November 1, 2017
- Glittered Napkin Card Techniques- Three Ways - October 30, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Blade Rubber in London UK - October 25, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Le BHV in Paris, France - October 20, 2017