I may be the “Jenny-come-lately” here on this topic, but it seems that there’s been a HUGE shake up with the Michaels craft stores.Â According to Craftgrrl, they have basically laid off all of the teaching staff, and have canceled all of their craft classes in beading, scrapbooking, knitting, etc. It seems that even the kid’s parties have been suspended indefinitely.
I also belong to a number of Yahoo Groups, and I’m hearing the same thing everywhere: classes are gone (except for Wilton’s cake decorating classes) and “corporate” has decided to homogenize things by dictating that every store will offer the same projects. And they will be taught by the same folks who run the cash register and unload the boxes.
In short, no more “experts.” You’ll have to buy the pre-packaged kits and follow the directions. And from what I found on the Michaels website, it looks like the only thing they are focusing is kids crafts. There’s is branded “the Knack.”
So isn’t that just like Oriental Trading? Where’s the creativity in that?
And what about what the local market wants? Like folks who want polymer clay classes over, say, crocheting?
This is a sad state of affairs for the crafting/arting community. What to do?
Well, two things. One – and the most important – is patronize your local, independent shops. The bead shops, scrapbooking stores, the yarn shops, etc. It’s hard to run and brick-and-mortar business in a virtual world, and dollars to doughnuts those shop owners are happy to run classes that meet your interests.Â They often struggle and lose a lot of business to online vendors and big box craft stores, so they seek to find an interesting niche. (For example, our local bead shop realized that no one was doing polymer clay classes so she hired me!)
Secondly, ignite your “craftivism!” Time to contact “The Man” and let them know what we think of it…. click here toÂ use their online question form.
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018