It’s Memorial Day, and I’m always conflicted. Yes, it’s a day for picnics and BBQ, but saying “Happy Memorial Day” seems the wrong message….but how to you express such a complex set of emotions? It’s a day to honor our service men and women, thank our veterans, and remember our fallen soldiers.
My grandfathers both served- one in the Navy, another was a SeaBee. My dad served in Vietnam in the Navy, and my father in law was a Navy man as well. It’s important to take a moment to thank them for their service.
While we were in the Capitol a few years ago, our family got to pay our respects at the new World War II Memorial. Both of my grandfathers served in WWII and got to come home. The memorial is beautiful and massive.
We also viewed the Korean War Memorial- it was stunning. I loved the etched reflecting wall that served as a mirror to the life-sized statues of the service men, representing all of the support services that the combat troops receive.
We walked the length of “The Wall,” absorbing the sheer enormity of all of the names of the fallen Vietnam soldiers. I’m so very blessed that my dad’s name is NOT on that wall.
- NYC Craft Shopping and Haul (plus some chit-chat) - August 15, 2017
- DIY Quilled Paper Flower Embellishments - August 11, 2017
- Nine Easy Gel Printing Techniques for Beginners! - August 2, 2017
- Tuesday Morning Craft Haul- July 2017 - July 27, 2017
- Review and Demo of Sign Brush Felt Tip Markers from Pentel Arts - July 22, 2017
- Mixed Media Paper Feathers - July 18, 2017
- Organizing Distress Stain Ink Pads - July 14, 2017
- Review and demo of On Point Glue from Imagine Crafts - July 12, 2017
- Magic-Glos UV Curing Resin by Lisa Pavelka - July 6, 2017
- “Firecracker” Rice Treat Pops - July 4, 2017