I love love love to travel…and taking in the public art and architecture is a BIG part of my travel experience. Just taking these new sights in really influences my art and craft design sensibilities.
In this 4-minute video, I share with you the highlights of my week in Melbourne, Australia, focusing on old architecture, NEW architecture, public art, and GRAFFITI!
Take a peek:
So…my broad takeaways of Melbourne:
- It’s a very “European” city- lots of foreign speakers, travelers and food.
- The older buildings remind me of the American west… Louisiana and New Orleans, to be specific.
- The modern architecture is amazing- in form, function, and abundance. I’ve never seen as many or as WILD buildings in one city before. (C’mon, BEES? Love it!)
- Hozier Lane is a transformative, gritty paradise. Amazing street art that is constantly changing. I wish we had one in Cleveland!
- The Yarra River is beautiful, and the city has done an exemplary job of utilizing all of that frontage with walks, biking paths, pedestrian bridges, public art, and spaces for street performers and food trucks. It was vibrant and humming. Again, I’d love to see a revitalization like that of the Lake Erie shoreline and the Cuyahoga river.
- Either you are a Market person, or you aren’t. I am a “Market Person.” I went to the Queen Victoria Market three times in one week.
- It’s a great city and I’d love to go back…. and take my kids…. and see some more of this beautiful country.
Still to come- my Aussie crafty field trips!
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018
- Arteza Real Brush Markers Review and Demo - January 5, 2018