A while back I got a request from a YouTube fan asking me to compare the Martha Stewart Crafts Deluxe Scoring Board and Paper Trimmer to another scoring/trimming tool. So of course I thought I should give this combo tool a once-over to see how it works.
Let’s take a look.
At first blush, it’s pretty impressive- it has a movable cutting arm, on-board tools, and envelope tool AND a bunch of easy-to-follow project templates .
Here’s how it’s described on the website:
This Martha Stewart Crafts Deluxe Scoring Board with Trimmer is the tool with convenience built in! Score flawless, crisp lines in seconds when creating invitations, envelopes, gift boxes and more. Lightweight and easily portable, the Deluxe Scoring Board features an envelope guide with a convenient storage slot, built in paper trimmer with replaceable blade, stylus for scoring and embossing, 17 step-by-step templates, and instruction booklet to help you create more than 40 projects.
However, once I started cutting paper, I started having difficulty. The paper trimming arm makes a horrible ratcheting sound- it’s both unpleasant and LOUD.
Then, there’s the issue with the cutting.
There is both an issue with the trimmer veering off of a straight line AND with snagging on the edge of the paper, causing rips!
I tried other weights of paper, but it was the same across text-weight paper, cardstock, vellum, and printed paper.
I made you a video so you could see all of this in action. The video is about nine minutes- long for YouTube, I know- but I wanted to be as thorough as possible.
The only nice thing I can really say about the tool is that the envelope template is really handy… as long as you don’t use the paper trimmer on the tool to make it.
So for $39.99 USD, this tool is a total thumbs-down for me. Stick to the WRMK scoring and trimming board…. or better yet, invest in a GREAT paper cutter like the Fiskars Pro-Cision Rotary trimmer and use a separate scoring board. (The Martha Stewart one and the Scor-Pal are equally good.)
Crafters beware of this one!
- Coastal Texture Paint Review and Demo - May 23, 2017
- National Mod Podge Day- Shell Treasure Box DIY - May 19, 2017
- Last-Minute Mother’s Day Gifts! - May 11, 2017
- Brit & Co Craft Kits Now at Target! - May 5, 2017
- Pebeo Paints Part 2: Fantasy Paints (Prisme & Moon) - May 2, 2017
- Show and Share: Eastern Palace Premiere Bundle from Stampin’ UP! - April 28, 2017
- Pebeo Liquid Oil Paints- Part 1: Vitrail, Opale, and Ceramic - April 25, 2017
- Flower Fairies and Woodland Sprite Earth Day Craft - April 18, 2017
- Folk Art Color Shift Acrylic Paints - April 7, 2017
- Speed Collage- 7 Layers and in a Series - April 4, 2017