Dear Crafty Friends,
If you missed it on the CraftTestDummies Facebook Page earlier this week, there was quite a hubbub. Martha Stewart, craft maven to many, spoke out in an interview by which she put bloggers down. With disdain, even. See the interview for yourself:
So, yes. That. “Who are these bloggers?” I am SO happy to answer that! We are self-motivated, disciplined, passionate individuals. We blog because we are compelled, to, not because we get a paycheck to do it.
(This might be a good time to remind her that most of us don’t receive a regular paycheck from our blogs. Some, like mine, have a few ads and sponsored posts so that it doesn’t cost my family grocery money to stay afloat. But I don’t make a dime for the 40 hours a week I pour into testing, writing, creating and editing videos, photographing crafts and editing posts. Not to mention the time managing the affiliate social channels, answering questions from readers, and promoting the posts.)
Bloggers, unlike Martha, have to do it all. For very little return. And manage our families, JOBS (because, yes, many bloggers cannot afford to blog full time and have to keep day jobs) and other commitments. We have no staff. Hear that? NO STAFF. So when I hear “they are not the experts” I kind of have to roll my eyes- the same way I do when folks talk about stay-at-home moms not having a job. Because while NOT A SINGLE BLOGGER I KNOW professes to be an expert, we do have expertise. Namely in:
- creating unique content on a regular basis
- learning the fundamentals of SEO
- higher-level photography and photo editing
- video production and editing
- blogging tech and templates, including staying on top of new plug-ins (my baileywick!)
- monitoring constantly-evolving and emerging social channels and learning how to optimize them
- developing and refining monetization strategies
- seeking/interfacing with brands and companies for mutually-beneficial campaigns
- networking with other bloggers to keep the karma wheel turning
- developing and growing our design (or cooking or crafting or whatever) skills so that we can speak to our audiences from a place of knowledge and authenticity
- cultivating and growing our audiences so that we DO have a platform on which to stand and be heard.
Whew! Quite a lot, right? And most of us…. for chump change. Less than I could make working part time at minimum wage. SO. I’m dusting this comment of hers off my shoulder- because even though SHE doesn’t seem to value us, we know that the folks in her organization do– as evidenced by a number of blogger initiatives that some brilliant person thought up (not her, of course) that include the 12 Months of Martha program, Martha’s Circle Bloggers, and even her address at BlogHer 12 and the Blogger’s Night Out that yours truly attended. (Not to mention the times when bloggers were specifically invited to her shows and were treated quite well. I did that. TWICE. )
So I’m here to show bloggers some love. Below is a link-up. Please add either YOUR blog or your favorite- just PLEASE scan the ones added so far to make sure there aren’t duplicates (I will delete duplicate blogs linked up.) Please but the NAME OF THE BLOG in the “name” section of the link-up tool and use the blogs’ logo or header as the thumbnail photo!
NO RETAIL WEBSITES PLEASE. Bloggers only!
When you are done, take a moment to comment on the blogs, THANKING THEM for all of their creativity, skill, hard-work…and yes, expertise.
I’d also love to read your comments, so leave me your thoughts.
With bloggy love, Jenny
- Stampin’ Blends from Stamin’ UP Review and Demo - November 21, 2017
- Thanksgiving Crafts You Can DIY - November 17, 2017
- Crafty Shopping Trip and Haul from Fabric District at Sacre Coeur Basilica, Paris France - November 15, 2017
- Craft Haul and Trip to Liberty of London, UK – October 2017 - November 1, 2017
- Glittered Napkin Card Techniques- Three Ways - October 30, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Blade Rubber in London UK - October 25, 2017
- Craft Haul and Visit to Le BHV in Paris, France - October 20, 2017
- Three Washi Tape Card Ideas - October 19, 2017
- Crafty Travel: Inside John Lewis in London, UK - October 17, 2017
- Alcohol Inks on Acetate- Greeting Cards Three Ways! - September 28, 2017