This is the third extruder I’ve tried, and by gum, we’ve found a winner! My hands are not so strong and they tire easily. I’ve used both the Kemper clay gun, and a version of Makin’s that is a push extruder. Both are lost causes for me… by the time I get 2 inches of usable extruded clay, my hands are shot.
I ordered the “Makin’s Professional Ultimate Clay Extruder” from E-bay (regular retail price about $20.00 , hoping that the screw-propelled version would work better for me. I made a variegated blue cane today, and I almost wept with joy. No sore hands! Long pretty ropes! Hallelujah!
OK, maybe I’m overstating my point. But when you find a tool that works well and furthers your creative vision, it’s a beautiful thing. So many more possibilities are now opening up for me. I’ll share more extruded goodies once I get some more time to play….
I have to mention that I found it very easy to clean out. The bottom portion that holds the die also attaches with a screw collar. Unscrew, wipe off the die, scrape out the tube with a toothbrush, viola~! You’re good to go.
(ADDED NOTE 4/27/10: I got a tip from a fellow clayer: if you spray the barrel with a little Armour All before you load the clay, it will lubricate it a little more and the clay is even easier to remove. Nice.)
My seven-year-old came home from school and tried it out, too. He says it’s cool.
Bottom line: it’s utterly CRAFTASTIC!!!
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing and Giveaway! - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018
- “OLT” Craft Challenge for 2018 - January 16, 2018
- Cutting Shrink Film with a Cricut Die Cutting Machine - January 12, 2018
- Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Brush Pen Review from Tonic, Demo & Comparison - January 9, 2018