While I’ve tried traditional knitting in the past, it’s only left me frustrated. I’ve had problems with tension, wrist fatigue, and dropped stitches- but all of these issues have been erased with the knitting loom. It’s easy, fun, and success-oriented. You can make your first baby hat in under 2 hours!
So here’s my project. SANTA HATS!
How cute are they??
And the fun is that you can knit up a bunch and give them as gifts,or make your family pose in them for the holiday card picture, as I intend to do!
To make your hat, you’ll need the appropriate loom size (newborn, childs, adult, and cowl) and one skein each of a fuzzy white yarn and all-purpose red.
Cast on with your white fuzzy yarn and knit around and around until you have about 4 inches of knitted tube.
Cut the yarn from the skein, leaving about a 6 inch tail. Begin wrapping the red around the loom, knitting the new color into the old. Continue in this fashion until you have about 8 inches of red knitted up.
Cut the red yard from the skein, leaving about a 6 inch tail. Next, cut a 10 inch piece of yarn and thread the plastic needle. Make a slip-knot at the end, and fasten the loop around the peg on the front of the loom. Then, one at a time, slip the needle with yarn through the loops on the pegs and then lift them off.
Once all the loops are threaded on your yarn, unfasten your slip knot and pull both ends tight, gathering the top of the tube closed. Knot securely, then push the tails down into the inside of the hat.
Finish it off by tying the loose tails with knots and then weaving the long ends back into the hat. The crowning glory is adding a little white pom-pom on top! (I used the Easy Knitting Pom-Pom Loom to make those, but Iâ€™ll talk about that another day! )
Update 4/2012: This craft is now featured in a FREE down-loadable E-Book from AllFreeChristmasCrafts.com! Just click THIS LINK to go to the page to get all the FREE Christmas-themed hats, scarves and jewelry goodies in this book! : O
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Tonic Studios Dies Unboxing (Giveaway Closed) - April 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018