First of all, I believe in our judicial system and my civic and moral obligation to serve. The other reason I didn’t mind so much was that I knew that I could catch up on my crafting with all that waiting around!
So after a quick think about what to take, I settled on my knitting looms. They are great for traveling and short bursts of time because:
- of their compact size
- they hold your stitches for you
- they practically eliminate tension issues
- you can drop what you’re doing in a minute & not lose your spot!
I know I’ve also mentioned that everybody I know AND their cousin is expecting or has had a baby, so I also thought that the smallest loom would be great for baby hats (newborn size.) Come to find out, I can crank out a baby hat in about 2 hours. Perfect for sitting through kids Karate practice and baseball games, too!
One moret thing- I got about 4 hats from one skein of yarn. I only made them about 8 inches long, and with this size you can REALLY make a lot of hats! Tres economical, no? Also great for using up those leftover bits and bobs of yarn…because babies just need warm heads!
I decided it would be nice to donate a few to the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) while I’m on a roll. Because crafting warm and fuzzy hats for charity makes me all warm and fuzzy inside! ; )
One interesting aside: there were at LEAST 6 folks who saw me knit using this loom and asked for a demo. So many people want to knit but are are put off by needles, or who just can’t use them anymore. I showed the “askers” how to cast on & I’m pretty sure at least one lady was driving to her craft store on the way home from jury duty! It’s a good reminder to CRAFT IN PUBLIC and share what you know with others…. so many people are really hungry to make things with their own hands, they just don’t know how to go about getting started. Maybe YOU are that person to share a bit of knowledge and encouragement!
Look for my post on CraftsUnleashed.com soon on making hats as Christmas gifts for the “Christmas in July” series!
- Spooky Spider Halloween Bookmark Craft - October 24, 2018
- Review and Demo of LDRS Hybrid Ink Pads - October 15, 2018
- Review and Demo of Nuvo Hybrid Inks - October 1, 2018
- Craft Studio Tour and Organization Ideas - September 20, 2018
- Wax Paper Resist Background Technique - March 20, 2018
- Comparison of Liquid Watercolor Markers/Pens - March 16, 2018
- SAI Japanese Traditional Watercolor Brush Markers- Review & Demo - February 23, 2018
- Rinea Metallic Foil Paper & Ghost Ink Review - February 21, 2018
- Jane Davenport debuts at Creativation 2018 & Watercolor Card - February 13, 2018
- Creativation 2018: New Product Showcase - January 20, 2018